Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mode C and 25khz in Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Netherlands mandatory?

I may need to move an aircraft from Sweden to UK.

It is only mode C and 25khz.
Can anyone advise if this is permissible in VFR?

Thanks

vinschnoopy wrote:

I may need to move an aircraft from Sweden to UK.

It is only mode C and 25khz.
Can anyone advise if this is permissible in VFR?

Thanks

Mode C and 25 kHz is so far sufficient in Sweden below FL195. Not so next year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

How about Denmark, Germany and The Netherlands, though?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

How about Denmark, Germany and The Netherlands, though?

My best guess (I don’t have time to look up the AIP) is:

Denmark: Mode C and 25 kHz.
Germany: Mode S and 25 kHz.
The Netherlands: Mode S and 8.33 kHz.

But really, someone who knows should reply.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Germany is feasible with a Mode C transponder below 5000ft and outside of control airspace.
Better to circumvent The Netherlands and go through Belgium. That would be OK with Mode C and 25kHz outside of control airspace.

Belgium

Netherlands requires mode S above 1200ft and 8.33kHz in controlled airspace. As long as you stay below/outside it should be possible to cross.

Assuming the 8.33khz and IFR GPS box is ticked, might ATC allow a ferry flight in CAS IFR with just Mode C?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

For the Netherlands, best to call the Operational Helpdesk of the LVNL for that. +31 (0)20-406 2201

I suspect the answer will be no, but you might be able to convince them if it’s for a one-off to a location where your mode-S is going to be fitted.

In Germany you need 8.33khz. I have never done this and do not know the legal details but the best idea might be to fly in formation with another aircraft? Then you are only supposed to turn on one of the transponders and only one plane does the radio.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

I have never done this and do not know the legal details but the best idea might be to fly in formation with another aircraft? Then you are only supposed to turn on one of the transponders and only one plane does the radio.

This is a good suggestion. I also have not done it myself, but fly with a group of antique pilots (and aircraft ) that do this a lot. Sebastian is correct on the transponder and radio work. The other aircraft are in listening mode, and if radio installations allow they can talk privately on an air-air frequency. Also, it should be done on a flight plan and only one flight plan should be filed regardless of number of aircraft in formation (2, 3, 4, …). The FPL is filed for the lead aircraft with transponder/radio and the other registrations should be listed in the FPL remarks area with of course in indication of the number in the formation. All radio calls are done “Call-sign FORMATION”. There must be some instructions on this somewhere, but I don’t know where.

LSZK, Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message