Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

@LeSving, you should quickly then call the Norwegian Supreme Court and inform them of this quintessential nugget of intellectual numbness of yours – as they recognised the Norwegian State can be held liable under this international law regime thing you don"t seem to be cognizant of.

http://www.casebooks.eu/JeanMonnetDatabase/JudicialProtection/jrjmd.php?excerptId=5638

http://www.tilj.org/content/journal/40/num3/Baudenbacher383.pdf

For your reference and initial education

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_law

is written in simple enough terms that on a good day you might even understand.

Of course it is entirely possible that you are on to something, much like a Galileo Galilei of modern law (and indeed modern anything). The probability is low… but it is possible.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 22 Aug 12:32

AdamFrisch wrote:

We’d still see ugly cars like BYD or tiny city cars with flimsy glassfibre bodies

Part of that was the state of the technology at the time, and part of it was… I don’t know. I never understood why car makers – when they were going to make an electric or hybrid car – for years made it look like it fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down to the extent it made the Pontiac Aztec look pretty:

(The go-to standard for ugly cars: Pontiac Aztec, above)

It seemed beyond them to make an electric car that looked like a normal car, for example this monstrosity from Peugeot:

Or this one from GM:

Last Edited by alioth at 22 Aug 12:58
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

Pontiac Aztec

I thought that was from the designers of the Piper PA-23 Aztec?

achimha wrote:

The US are large enough and isolated enough to provide useful national regimes to the majority of pilots but Europe has too many and too small countries. Therefore uncertified aviation can never be as useful as in the USA and not replace ICAO compliant aviation for a large segment of the market.

International aviation treaties are not limited to those which cover the whole world (for example the US and Canada cooperate in this area). To me the obvious solution is for EU countries to agree to a single Experimental category covering their territory. If they don’t, I think international GA within the EU may become impractical a over time. ICAO compliant light GA is no longer a large market, except for maintaining existing certified aircraft, and there is no indication to me of that reversing course.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Aug 14:13

Silvaire wrote:

To me the obvious solution is for EU countries to agree to a single Experimental category covering their territory.

I am 20 Cessna minutes away from a non EU country. I have several other non EU countries in less than half a Cessna fuel tank in reach. Even a pan-EU solution would be much more limited than a USA solution. Also there is no competent body to drive it. EASA for sure not, it’s not their mandate and also against their self interest as they need the small GA as an entry level for crew, engineers and technology.

I don’t think much will happen. See the many threads about e.g. Lancair turboprops and what the practical issues with them would be. The best hope we have is for EASA to further improve certified aviation regulation and innovative companies to deliver products. These companies are increasingly European with the US scene so focused on non-certified stuff. Not entirely a bad thing.

Last Edited by achimha at 22 Aug 14:22

achimha wrote:

The best hope we have is for EASA to further improve certified aviation regulation and innovative companies to deliver products.

The problem with every one of these grand European ideas is that they are generally too expensive for real people, spending their own money, to choose to do. When that is the case, it’s a problem not a solution.

These companies are increasingly European with the US scene so focused on non-certified stuff.

I would say certified GA is increasingly Chinese, as a result of both US (Cirrus, Mooney, Continental) and European manufacturers (Diamond, Thielert) cashing out. Textron is only making up for attrition and the European arm of Diamond has sold off the four seat single and is making only a trickle of planes. I don’t think any of the Chinese companies are going to thrive and I think LeSving is correct that uncertified light GA is the future. In both the US (Vans, Cub manufacturers and a hundred others) and the EU (Tecnam, Pipistrel etc) this is true. The only question in my mind is whether this will be allowed to much reduce international flying within the EU. I’m sure there are lot of people who would see that as convenient.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Aug 14:59

Interestingly enough Cirrus has had billings of 120M USD in H1 2017, more than TBM (93) or Piper (75) without selling a single expensive turboprop.

They moved 151 of the 400 SEPs sold in H1 ’17 (50% of all US made SEPs).

Quite the non-thriving company.

In contrast, the aggregate LSA sales in the US came in at a whopping 184 airframes for the whole of 2016.

The market place bought significantly more of the 795k USD airframes compared to the 200k USD airframes. I wonder what this data is telling us.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 22 Aug 15:33

The problem is with factory-built GA is that it’s kind of hit a “hung start” and really at this stage it doesn’t matter what EASA does, it will never pick up. Volumes are far too low for mass production methods, therefore new airframes are absurdly expensive for what they are and are all hand built: as a result demand is pitifully low. And because demand is pitifully low, no one will invest in mass production methods, so therefore prices will remain absurdly high. Add to that NIMBYism and airfield closures so we have nowhere useful to fly from and basically certified GA is permanently moribund.

Last Edited by alioth at 22 Aug 15:40
Andreas IOM

Part of it is the insanely high liability insurance and litigation budget every certified aircraft manufacturer has to have because every family member sues the airplane manufacturer when their husband runs the tanks dry and falls out of the sky like a numbnut.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Part of it is the insanely high liability insurance and litigation budget every certified aircraft manufacturer has to have because every family member sues the airplane manufacturer when their husband runs the tanks dry and falls out of the sky like a numbnut.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? One keeps hearing about it but there is never any proof about it. I highly doubt it is true. Certainly not outside the US.

Sign in to add your message