Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Peter wrote:

That would be a loss to EuroGA!

It’s over if you want it to ;-) And yes @JuJuPilote – please don’t leave, we like you here ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Jujupilote wrote:

It could very well be my last post here.

On many questions we will never have the same opinion – but I for my part really enjoy that people like you are around and we can actually exchange our views even auf they are completely different. I don’t know another Forum where views on such fundamental questions are so different and people discuss them on a high level of sophistication.

So please don’t leave!

Germany

Peter wrote:

One day this stuff will be over.

Kilgour on the Beach. Greatest movie clip of all time.

As a point of order I think @JuJu post is in the wrong thread. Just sayin….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Jujupilote wrote:

It could very well be my last post here.

I hope you just mean this thread and not the whole forum

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Greatest movie clip of all time.

That’s great clip – from the non-PC days

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Border force numbers here have certainly decreased since Schengen came into being.
There used to be a huge training school for border force officers next to La Rochelle airport.
I am led to understand that most customs and immigration officers in France were trained there. Over recent years it has been flattened to a pile of rubble. I don’t know where the training is done now.
At the same time many have probably been sent to Calais and Dunkirk to watch people getting on rubber dinghies headed for the UK.
As one gendarme said “the only way of stopping them is to arrest them, but what law have they broken? The beaches are a public amenity. And when we do arrest them all these charitable aid workers from the UK start screaming at us about Civil Rights.”(rough translation from television interview)

France

gallois wrote:

As one gendarme said “the only way of stopping them is to arrest them, but what law have they broken? The beaches are a public amenity. And when we do arrest them all these charitable aid workers from the UK start screaming at us about Civil Rights.”(rough translation from television interview)

This is a very good point. I’m not sure what can reasonably be done about the aid workers – what is the situation in terms of their rights (or otherwise) to do aid work in France, post-Brexit?

Presumably what the people getting into the boats can be detained for is being in France without the right to be there, but realistically what are you then going to do with them?

EGLM & EGTN

This?

Of course that will not be implemented by France in this case

The police policy is dictated from above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem is that these people don’t want to apply for asylum in France. They are desperate to go to the UK. Many have been offered asylum in France but turned it down. It’s a complicated problem.

France

Like most countries French police have to work within the law. Yes they can probably be ordered to clear people out of the jungle, take them away in buses, burn their tents etc.
But then France are being accused of breaking human rights law so they
are released and they are back in a.new jungle, aided by UK charities and people smugglers
There used to be a center to house these people at Sangatte whilst waiting for the UK to vet their applications. Not only did the UK not vet many of these people but the British Government and its press made it impossible for the French governement to do other than shrug their shoulders and close it.
What France does not need are British policemen marching up and down French beaches. Even if we did want their help have you got enough manpower? Or would you want to be hiring untrained security guards.

France
Sign in to add your message