Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

I think different systems suit different cultures. Look around Europe

more animals than voters

That’s like the old joke about four pilots on a desert island. A year later they have set up four forums, each with 20 members

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

We had a referendum on the subject in 2011. The result of that popular vote was respected.

Indeed, and it’s probably why the FPTP system will never be changed (and given that most of the country votes for either of the two main parties – the main beneficiaries of FPTP) it’s not surprising the referendum failed to change the voting system. So we will continue to see weird results in elections that seem to defy the actual number of people voting one way or another, and we’ll continue to see marginal seats having disproportionate power.

Andreas IOM

My hope rests in Grant Shapps. Someone who actually knows his onions.

He didn’t arrive at a good time as he may well be out of office soon.

Well, almost everybody (outside the UK) was not just wrong but hugely so

Administrator

That’s because most others don’t use our first past the post system. The Tories won a near landslide with a popular vote that should have been well short of a win – because it’s more important how the votes are distributed than how many there are.

Andreas IOM

One can argue that, but, on the plus side, we finally have a functioning government and Grant Shapps (a GA pilot) in the DfT.

Administrator

But we do have Brexit…and all the uncertainty wrt EASA etc…
I have personally forked out over £400 in getting myself Brexit-proofed.

alioth wrote:

That’s because most others don’t use our first past the post system. The Tories won a near landslide with a popular vote that should have been well short of a win – because it’s more important how the votes are distributed than how many there are.

Forget that. It was a huge win. Nothing to do with the system. Hopefully it gets Parliament and the country moving.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

on the plus side, we finally have a functioning government and Grant Shapps (a GA pilot) in the DfT.

Good news indeed. A very clear mandate for the government to govern.
I hope this chap does another one about those refusing to accept the result.

While I’m pleased with both the UK and Scottish results, I would have preferred some mentions of the economy by the candidates before the vote.
The idea of investment rather than spending is alien to all the parties.
There were spending promises, without thought of what can be afforded. All parties seemed like sub-teenagers, with hopes and plans without any explanation of how they are to be achieved.
We have spent to build 2 aircraft carriers, which our defence minister plans to use to annoy the Chinese, who have just bought our steel industry.
But the high speed rail link to North England is mentioned as perhaps being unaffordable.
I’d like to live in a capitalist economy. Our debt-ridden one is heading for problems.
After watching the preceding video: I don’t have a TV, and receive regular threatening pamphlets from the BBC Enforcement Contractor.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 14 Dec 20:47
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The good thing with the election outcome is that there is no uncertainty about Brexit anymore.

JasonC wrote:

Forget that. It was a huge win. Nothing to do with the system.

Well….

The Tories got 56.2% of MPs with 43.6% of the votes.
Labour got 31.1% of MPs with 32.1% of the votes.
The Liberal Democrats got 1.7% of MPs with 11.6% of the votes!!!!!!
SNP got 7.4% of MPs with 3.9% of the votes.

So I would say it has everything to do with the system.

Source: Wikipedia

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message