Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

It’s a massive NO to Corbyn and his communist agenda.

I would think most held their nose voting for Johnson but decided he was the lesser evil. Not unlike the Trump election which was as much against Clinton.

The real challenge in todays politics is the massive division which now splits more and more countries. It is also very symptomatic to see that the loosers of each election immediately challenge democracy as a concept. Both are very dangerous developments, as much as that many see the opposition as actual enemies of the country and people.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It was a massive No to a lot of other stuff too, in the PC and virtue signalling department. Labour and even more the lib dems stood for that.

What really surprised me was that even the 52BN handout to 3M women (who lost out by achieving equality on retirement age… can’t have equality if there is no gain) had no visible effect. Work out the figure per person! You can buy a lot for that.

The free fibre internet for all was an obvious gimmick. Nearly all of the UK already has adsl (over copper at least) and with enough bandwidth to watch movies.

A good analysis from my favourite left wing rag: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/tactical-voting-what-went-wrong-general-election-2019

The recriminations have started already…

I doubt many held their nose voting for Boris. He is actually quite ordinary. Writes his own speeches which few politicians do. Is non PC which is especially popular nowadays. Had a bit on the side… mandatory in some countries

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
I doubt many held their nose voting for Boris

Well. it’s about the choices we are left with. And if one is unelectable the winner will be the one less so.

The question arises how this process can win more input from the people, so that a situation where two problematic contestants are all there is to chose from does not arise. This will be an interesting thing to see in the USA next year. If the Democrats nominate someone with the political goals alike Corbyn (as I.e. Sanders) then Trump will have a 2nd term assured. If however they manage to get a real electable guy across the spectrum, the cards are open.

What worries me is that almost all candidates for leadership today are pretty polarizing as opposed to bridge builders. On the other hand, if opposing parties look at each other as enemies rather then contestants and actually see the other party as mortal enemies of their way of life, it is only a question of time until this turns violent again somewhere. The rift between political sides these days is as bad as it has not been in decades. In my mind it is not a question of if there will be civil war in one or more contested countries or wars of secession, but rather when it will happen.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Dec 17:40

Somehow the above post is garbled. Sorry cant make it work from my smartphone. Pleas ignore the two first paragraphs

Fixed, i hope. You need to avoid two consecutive dots

https://www.euroga.org/forums/website/10981-avoid-using-two-dots

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

In my mind it is not a question of if there will be civil war in one or more contested countries or wars of secession, but rather when it will happen.

I listened to an interesting statistical argument made by a storm hydrologist (I think) who looked at the historical frequency of revolutions the way he looked at simple flood prediction. i.e. if you live for 30 years in an area with a 1 in 100 year probability of flooding, you have an approx 26% chance of flooding in that period.

If you apply the same sort of analysis on violent revoution it’s not the most confidence inspiring.

Well, I voted for Boris last summer, and here’s why: he’s reasonably well-educated, having attended one of England’s second-best public schools. He’s a liberal who was twice elected mayor of London against the odds. He famously (and illegally?) took to the saddle of a New York bicycle taxi in which he was being conveyed after the licensed rider ran out of puff. In short, he’s one of us, a can-doer who would put his arm down the loo to unblock it rather than poke it with a stick or bleat for a plumber. If that makes him a “buffoon” in the eyes of our European friends who prefer their political leaders to be more dignified (we would say “precious”), then that perhaps illustrates why we are soon to be friends, but no longer “family”.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Well, I voted for Boris last summer, and here’s why

That’s interesting. I have never voted (or not) for a party because of the personality of the party leader, nor do I think I ever will. I look at its political programme, or ideology if you wish.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@ Alioth what do you find wrong with the GAR form? Surely it has got to be better than being forced to go to a customs/immigration airport to enter or leave a country.

France

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s interesting. I have never voted (or not) for a party because of the personality of the party leader, nor do I think I ever will. I look at its political programme, or ideology if you wish.

What do you do for leaders who have a track record of flip flopping on their position? There is a huge perception about many of the political class who will say anything to stay in power. Anna Soubry for example who was elected on respecting the referendum result and then changed parties and went against what she was elected on. Fortunately all those who went across were defeated at the ballot box.

Sign in to add your message