Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Ted wrote:

On the flip side if Biden gets in he will still have to contend with a “hostile” sensate, but he will have the control of the purse strings for two years with a democratic congress.

Congress includes both the House of Representatives and the Senate, and new Federal law must pass both. The President introduces the annual budget law (specifically) into congress, from which point it may undergo drastic changes, he has the power to veto the eventual result, and he directly controls the executive agencies and thereby also has some discretion in the implementation of law coming out of conference.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Nov 18:33

And for balance…..Totally poor right wing Nazis.

Yes; the reason why the modern “populist” movement has so surprised the old political classes is because they were still in the days of Lenin when life was relatively simple

(from here)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is a brilliant graphic…..though depicts that not that much has actually changed.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Well, seems like things finally are back to normal in American politics

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Well, seems like things finally are back to normal in American politics

I’m not sure. The last four years have so heavily distorted what is “normal” that nearly 70 million Americans didn’t refrain from voting for a serial liar, racist, spreader of hate speech, misogynistic bully with a terrible record regarding economic policy, foreign politics and public health. Several tens of thousands of Americans died prematurely due to his decisions alone.

Biden has his work cut out to repair the huge damage caused by Trump, that much is certain.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

The last four years have so heavily distorted what is “normal” that nearly 70 million Americans didn’t refrain from voting for a serial liar, racist, spreader of hate speech, misogynistic bully with a terrible record regarding economic policy, foreign politics and public health.

Should come with a disclaimer in that is your view and not necessarily the view or opinion of others. What is normal? All ’’politicians’’ are baseless and inept. All mostly tell lies. All pander to a political base. Shoot your Granny. OK……

The US has always been divided, somewhat racist, but it is also a very changed country where the old white is no longer the majority and it requires some very difficult and intellectual approaches to strategy. A serious challenge which may not be possible for many decades.

Mr Trump is still President and it is the MSM that called for Biden. It may not be all over despite some cretins in British politics congratulating Biden.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 08 Nov 10:51
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Only time will tell.

I think a lot of this is symbolism, on a personal level, and pretty much irrelevant all things considered. I know religious scientist that say they believe that the earth was created in 6 days, by God, and that Darwinism is nonsense. If he created the entire universe, he certainly would have no problems creating some fossils. It’s not that they actually believe the universe was created that way, or that they believe Darwin is a joke, they couldn’t care less. It is more a way for them to show their immense strength of their faith in God to nonbelievers, and probably more important; to each other. Pure symbolism in other words, to show identity and “character” (or plain sheepish stupidity, depending on your point of view )

It’s the same with politics. People don’t necessarily and literally mean what they say. They may say it to symbolize identity and “character”.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

God bless America…and the end of presidential immunity for the Don:)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

BeechBaby wrote:

Should come with a disclaimer in that is your view and not necessarily the view or opinion of others. What is normal? All ’’politicians’’ are baseless and inept. All mostly tell lies. All pander to a political base.

Absolutely not. The fact that Trump behaved completely inappropriate as President is not my opinion but a simple fact. This is precisely what I mean: He managed to distort “normal” political discourse in a way that leads to some people, including the two of us apparently, debating wheter the way he behaves is acceptable or not, when just a few years prior it would have been unanimous consensus across party lines that he was, is and will remain unfit for the office he still holds until 20th January.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I suggest considering the possibility that one (actually everyone of us) is living in their little media bubble.

Trump got legitimately elected 4 years ago. This can’t be denied; it wasn’t voting fraud. It happened because if say he did a 1h speech in which he spent 5 mins insulting his usual targets, the other 55 mins was stuff which resonated with ~50% of America. In the meantime the PC/woke European media reported the (sensational) 5mins and left out the (boring) 55mins because that would require, ahem, “analysis”, and analysis doesn’t do anything for viewer numbers. Then the Europeans end up in utter shock, crying into their champagne glasses that the world is coming to an end But actually all that has really happened is that a rather silly showman won an election, in which the best candidate which the opposition could dig up (Hilary) was dispised by more or less everybody, and only somebody right at the end of their political career was going to stand at that time. And the direction of most of US policy has hardly changed, and it will hardly change this time round. Biden is set to continue the anti China policy, for example.

Those who want a challenge can start on the difficult questions as outlined e.g. here. The author of that piece, hilariously, is a former hard line Trot Marxist so there you have a double intellectual challenge

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message