Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airliner passing under parachute jumpers

In related news:
F15 airprox B with jumpers

EGTF, LFTF

In France, parachute jumps and aerobatics outside aerodrome environments are coordinated with regional flight information services (they have radars and happy to tell you that you are under “radar contact”) just last last month when I flew near Granville, Rennes Info was actively coordinating an aircraft dropping human meat OCAS away from aerodrome (it was Notamed)

I think in the UK, London Information could be able to to some of that job for OCAS operations if they have man capacity as they tend to cover huge area (of course they have good radars, otherwise how they were able to warn us last time from some near traffic, they also warned the other guy just after )

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Jul 20:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

They are frequently co-ordinated here in The Netherlands

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

In the US the jump plane very often calls ‘jumpers away’ and also 5 minute etc warnings on air-to-air or if useful, a nearby ATC tower frequency. I’ve never heard of specific jump schedules being coordinated with approach, departure or en route ATC, although I have heard them advising aircraft that the jump zone (typically below Class E airspace) is known to be active on a given day.

Peter wrote:

Coming back to this topic, are parachute jumps which are wholly OCAS and well away from any airport and thus out of range of any approach radar, coordinated with any radar service?

Are you asking about the UK situation or generally?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I guess if they are wholly outside OCAS – why would they be – other than the obvious safety aspect for aircrafts outside CAS.

I think there are plenty partly in and partly out so to speak. Headcorn often climb into CAS and descend into OCAS, and co-ordiante throughout both with London TC and London Info.

Coming back to this topic, are parachute jumps which are wholly OCAS and well away from any airport and thus out of range of any approach radar, coordinated with any radar service?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Death Star over SFX is more convincing

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

FakeBook – your (un)reliable news source on the net.

The Death Star was also seen over San Francisco:

EKRK, Denmark

It’s a big sky… A collision is very unlikely to happen.

LFPT, LFPN
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message