Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greek TMA classification mayhem

petakas wrote:

This AOPA Hellas tries somehow to demystify with paragraph 14. in www.aopa.gr/Info

Thanks, this guide is a must if you want to fly in Greece. However, for the VFR pilot, boundaries in water mean nothing.

achimha wrote:

Until today, Greece does not have official VFR charts even though that is an ICAO obligation.

Didn’t know it was an obligation. Unofficially, we will be providing the first ever free Greek VFR charts through Open Flightmaps We have put in a lot of work to make sure they are as accurate and up to date as possible (with every AIRAC cycle), with data originating in the Greek AIP and other sources within Greece (e.g. VFR points that are missing in the AIP). Here is a sample, will be probably launcing in December although my goal to do it earlier.

achimha wrote:

Of course it’s possible but it was not ICAO compliant. Greece is a member of ICAO.

… cough cough … what about Schengen? … cough cough …

ESME, ESMS

TMAs in Greece are class E with R/T requirement, hence they are RMZs as well.

Also, some of them (the ones with radar control – ATHINAI TMA, MAKEDONIA TMA , IRAKLION TMA ,KERKIRA TMA and RODOS TMA) are TMZs as well.

I suppose (my meaning) the reason that the CAA has written instructions/clearances in some places when talking about a TMA is that CTRs can also be found in TMAs, and CTRs are class D, needing a clearance.

When flying over Greek territory one must fly within the lateral limits of controlled airspace. So, eg, an airway (class E) or a TMA (class E+) are controlled airspaces from an altitude and upwards. If you fly over Greek territory within their lateral limits (eg below them) you are in another class (eg G) and you can fly there. Also, outside Greek territory and outside controlled airspace, you can fly wherever you like (G). If you manage to create a difference polygon (Greek territory minus controlled airspace (airway buffers, TMAs etc)) you’ll see that it is “difficult” to fly over Greek territory and not be within the lateral limits of controlled airspace. I agree that there is no official public map that shows these, but I will not comment on this specific requirement as IMO it is a little off-topic.

Another general point. Airspace classification is mainly based on the level of ATS you’ll get. This does not preclude the establishment of uncontrolled ATS routes with certain requirements (even mandatory), of course never aiming to override the fundamental SERA VMC minima.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

atmilatos wrote:

you’ll see that it is “difficult” to fly over Greek territory and not be within the lateral limits of controlled airspace.

Example of these areas in a snapshot of central Aegean.
These are the areas that theoretically you cannot fly VFR (Within territory i.e. not High Seas and outside CAS lateral limits).
If you fly VFR via airways you never pass through these odd little areas and even if you do its for a few minutes or so.
Noone (ATC/FIS) has them charted anyway like in the below graphic.

Map source: www.aopa.gr/aerogis

Last Edited by petakas at 05 Oct 18:02
LGMG Megara, Greece

What’s the rationale behind this bizarre VFR restriction?

atmilatos wrote:

TMAs in Greece are class E with R/T requirement, hence they are RMZs as well.

Ok, then I guess there are no standalone RMZs, like in Germany, so I have not missed something.

atmilatos wrote:

I suppose (my meaning) the reason that the CAA has written instructions/clearances in some places when talking about a TMA is that CTRs can also be found in TMAs, and CTRs are class D, needing a clearance.

But then they are CTRs, not TMAs. Different chunk of airspace, different class, different rules. No sensible pilot would fly into a CTR and expect it to be the same as a TMA.

atmilatos wrote:

So, eg, an airway (class E)

The unsuspecting VFR pilot knows nothing about airways. No unsuspecting VFR pilot has ever needed an IFR chart. In fact, he doesn’t even know the word “airway” because he was never taught that word during his training.

atmilatos wrote:

If you fly over Greek territory within their lateral limits (eg below them) you are in another class (eg G) and you can fly there.

Most TMAs start at 1000 ft AGL. You can then legally fly in class G at 500 ft to 999 ft AGL as long as you stay outside rural areas. However, this is not practical in most of Greece where terrain is of varying altitude. Also, I have heard a clip where a controller in Athens gave instructions to a helicopter flying under the TMA. Don’t take me wrong, I’m not putting all controllers in the same basket ;), but I can see how some controllers might not appreciate having you roaming around under “their” TMA, and in the spirit of good cooperation flying in class G in Greece can be really difficult.

atmilatos don’t take my replies personally. You are not wrong. I’m just pointing the mistakes of a flawed system.

petakas wrote:

Noone (ATC/FIS) has them charted anyway like in the below graphic.

So in practise they can be ignored, and I guess they routinelly are? What is the point of that paragraph then (ENR 1.2.4.1 a)?

Last Edited by Dimme at 06 Oct 08:14
ESME, ESMS

The previous snapshot was based on 12nm Territorial Waters.
The below is based on 10nm National Airspace.

achimha wrote:

What’s the rationale behind this bizarre VFR restriction?

Part of it comes from the Aegean Dispute.
Its worth a read, if you have the time, to understand how complicated the issue is.

We (civil GA aircraft) are not the only ones flying VFR in the Aegean and I believe this restriction was not made for us but still affects us as VFR.

As I mentioned it is extremely rare as light GA to get affected by it in practice.

As far as I have heard this bizarre restriction is based on some facts like:
- Outside the brown boundaries in above image the aircraft is over international waters (High Seas), outside National Airspace, but still within Greece’s FIR (as far as SAR obligations go).
- Inside the brown boundaries the aircraft is inside National Airspace and Greece Territorial waters, i.e. no VFR without Flight Plan (and positively identified) can fly there and national authorities including the Air Force have different rights over imposing actions in these areas.
- If you are inside Territorial waters but outside CAS lateral limits (the red polygons) something of legal form happens there that is not desirable by the national authrorities.
In the red polygons military aircraft that are not approved are not allowed to fly through. I believe this rule is aimed towards specific military aircraft flying VFR.
As the Wiki page writes only military/state aircraft need prior permission for national airspace entry. So it looks like its not for us civil guys.

For IFR flights with IFR flight plans there is more control (by ATC) over what happens, what is approved, and what not.
For VFR flights, of foreign military aircraft, especially without filed flight plans, the issue is much more complicated and I believe this bizarre VFR restriction derives from their presence.

Every single aircraft flying inside a country’s FIR, be it airliner or not, IFR or VFR, slow or fast, like in most countries, is constantly monitored and positively identified by the Air Force with their independent set of radar network.

So I think the issue isrelated to the difference between violations of the national airspace and transgressions of air traffic regulations referred to in the above Wiki article.

I have talked with various friend airport tower ATC/FIS and they have told me that even for light/slow VFR traffic they get the occasional landline call from a specific “coordination center” with queries for positive identification of even low & slow flying targets squawking 7000 (or even primary targets only) off the coast that have not been positively identified. Its a constant parallel operation going on of which most of us are not aware of.

Last Edited by petakas at 06 Oct 08:56
LGMG Megara, Greece

No worries Dimme.

Just a remark. As I said, class G in Greece is not only the area below the TMAs, but under the airway system as well. The latter is in itself pretty large, eg in the Aegean.

I’m sure your new maps will shed more light on this.

Generally the current system is not flawless (reasons being mainly political but outside the scope of the thread – you should have stayed more at that small island lol) and I believe as time passes it will be more streamlined.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

atmilatos wrote:

you should have stayed more at that small island

I’ll be back ;)

ESME, ESMS
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message