Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Star Trek: Discovery

Any Trekkers here? Since we just have a thread about a past astronaut I thought it might be time to start one about future astronauts

I saw the first three episodes of Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix (the only legal way to watch it in Europe) recently. As usual I was skeptical first but I think this is the best Star Trek since the original series – and I have seen everything apart from some episodes of “Deep Space Nine”. Have been to several conventions even… The most expensive stuff ever done for TV (8.5M$ per episode allegedly) and worth every cent. I really hope they can keep up that level and look forward to the next episode on Monday…

Last Edited by what_next at 07 Oct 19:52
EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks for the tip!
With my kids I watched the complete original series some time ago. Big fun. I had no idea there’s new episodes,

I always rated Voyager. I’ll have to take a look at Discovery.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

I think this is the best Star Trek since the original series

Fully agree. Quite a pleasant surprise.

Hello fellow Trekkies,
Three episodes in I think that Discovery is very good Star Trek indeed. I only subscribed to Netflix under protest but now I will stop protesting.
I reckon Next Genetation is the best series (First Contact the best film, closely followed by Search for Spock and Voyage Home). Original Series is excellent for its time but does now feel a little dated about women, the ever marvellous Nichelle Nichols as Uhura notwithstanding. DS9 and Voyager I can take or leave. Enterprise was terrible. I have seen only the first of the reimagining films, I really liked it. I reckon that J J Abrams is one of us!

strip near EGGW

+1 on Discovery – can‘t wait for the new episode
I also recommend The Orville. Less action than Discovery but comparable to TNG in regards to philosophy in the Roddenberry tradition.

EDLN and EDKB

I saw all of the original episodes when I was a kid.
Plus all the derivatives over the years.
Yes it’s quite nice this new one.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

StarTrek? What’s that? Some or other telly thingy, probably, or movies. Who cares? Go flying!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

For those who are confused as to where in the timeline this series fits, here is a quick video explaining it:

From looking at the trailer:

I have to say it seems more of an action series (at least from the highlights) than anything else – something that purists seem to dislike (just take a quick look at some of the hillarious comments below the YouTube trailer).

EBCI Charleroi, Belgium

I like ST — particularly ST:TNG — but I don’t really consider myself a trekkie.

I detested the reboot movies, so I didn’t have high expectations about Discovery, but I was pleasantly surprised. It really is good and has much — but not all — of the Star Trek “feeling”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message