Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Class 2 Medical Revalidation

My UK class 2 medical expires in April 2018. I’m going to be in the UK in early January. I was wondering if I can get it re-validated even if I’m not in the 45 day window.

According to this:
http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Applications/Medical/Renew-or-revalidate-your-medical-certificate/

It says “You can undertake your revalidation examination up to 45 days before your certificate’s expiry date. There will be no loss of validity as the validity period will be calculated from your current certificate’s expiry date.”

This can mean two things:
1. You cannot revalidate before 45days and you have to take a full one instead (I believe the fees are different)
2. You can do a revalidation however the expiry date will be resets.

Anyone has experience with this? This is my first medical revalidation by the way…

Secondly is it possible to revalidate outside the UK (specifically in Portugal)?

If you do your Class 2 more than 45 days early, it will run from the date of the examination not the expiry date. The fee should be the same. You can do an EASA Class 2 medical in any EASA State.

I thought state of medical determined state of competent authority and hence UK issued EASA licence = must have UK EASA medical? (CAP804 Section 3, part A)

(I’ve just had similar debate with someone in France?)

Now retired from forums best wishes

Yes; exactly… the UK CAA has for several years now been banging on about “state where the medical is issued” = “state which issued the license”, the objective being to “prevent medical tourism”.

This was done because so many pilots, especially would-be airline pilots, travelled to then-new-to-JAA Hungary for the Class 1 Initial medicals, and Hungary was known for doing the initial medical such that if you failed you could walk out of the door with no record kept by the AME, which is a wonderful concession because often you can pass e.g. the CV test if you can have another go.

When I was looking at the FAA IR to JAA IR conversion in 2011 one option was an FTO in Greece, and they worked around this by generating a Greek postal address for you, to which the UK medical would be transferred and then the Greek license (rating in this case) was issued on that

So maybe it has changed recently? One would think that under Part-MED all that old stuff would go out of the window. Same with license / rating revalidations.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Tumbleweed wrote:

If you do your Class 2 more than 45 days early, it will run from the date of the examination not the expiry date.

That is my understanding also. Why don’t you just call your AME?

Peter wrote:

So maybe it has changed recently? One would think that under Part-MED all that old stuff would go out of the window. Same with license / rating revalidations.

As of September 12:

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that you can renew your class 2 medical in any EASA member state, including Germany. Please inform the examiner that you hold a EASA PPL licence issued by the United Kingdom, as they will need to forward your medical file to ourselves.

We require a copy of the Med 160 form, Med 161 form and a copy of the medical certificate issued. We also require a copy of the ECG tracing if applicable.

We can accept scanned copies by e-mail, or the information can be forwarded to the address details provided below.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Yours Sincerely
YYYYYYYYY
Aeromedical Casework Officer
Authority Medical Section
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0) 1293 573700

CAA Medical Department
Civil Aviation Authority
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex
RH6 0YR
United Kingdom

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Why do they need a copy of the ecg?

Patrick and others, thanks this was really helpful.

For reference these forms can be found here:
https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Connecting-with-the-CAA/Medical-forms-available-for-download/

I have a related question:

How long can you have a Class 2 medical expired before you are forced to do the initial medical again? I vaguely recall a figure of 5 years although I also recall some dodgy wording in Part-MED which could be read as saying that at 1 year (or whatever the validity is for your age etc) plus 1 day you have to do the initial one.

I wonder if @Frank is still around?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes; exactly… the UK CAA has for several years now been banging on about “state where the medical is issued” = “state which issued the license”, the objective being to “prevent medical tourism”.

This is not the way the NO CAA interprets the regulations. The issuing authority has to keep the medical records, but the AME can be licensed in a different state.

I did read up on this once upon a time because for a number of years it turned out that the NO authority had not received my medical records from France. The DGAC had initially sent a couple of revalidations to Norway, then they stopped. I found out when I tried to get a new FAA 61.75 and was told that the Norwegian authority indicated I did not have a valid medical.

In the end I did a revalidation, sent the documentation to NO CAA and they were happy.

LFPT, LFPN
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message