Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny random stuff

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Photos from the official web site of Portorož airport:

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 03 Jan 20:15
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

You could probably get an avgas powered engine to run on this stuff, so they put the wrong sticker on the bottle ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Fun stuff from a A65 manual found online.
Let’s start by the front page :

These engineers at Continental were the fathers of the ones landing on Omaha Beach !

That’s quite short too
Now the very best part :

Different times for sure !

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Different times for sure

Engines got certainly worse

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Engines got certainly worse

Are you sure, Lyco & Conti are bloody reliable compared to vintage engine rust?

- Volkswagen air-cooled car engine on an aircraft: I pulled throttle quickly to idle as I passed the threshold, engine did not like it and the prop was windmilling as I flare, hard to exit and push by hand out of the runway
- Gipsy Major coughing on top of the loop (vicious circle lose G, lose power, lose more G ), luckily power resumed without touching anything, now I understand why the club SOP is to do aeros overhead, but I had a quick brain f**t moment…

The only time when Lyco did quit on me is when it runs out of fuel

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 16:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This one is strictly for anoraks. Spot the funny thing…

Administrator

@Peter, even with a master’s degree in physics, I can’t explain that non-monotonic EMF behaviour off the top of my head.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It’s the only one of the eight types that does this. You get some funny results with this calculator. AFAICT nobody bothers to linearise Type B below +250C, and it is obviously not usable below +50C or so. It is also incredibly expensive, with the rhodium costing many times more than the platinum. I have had to buy one for testing something and eventually got the supplier down to 300 quid (he started at 2500 quid!) and that is for 30cm of 0.4mm diameter wire

Administrator

@Ibra, the depth and breadth of your aeronautical experience amazes me

Re the Continental manual and the A65, this was one of the first reliable light aircraft engines and a wonderful design: it never stops, doesn’t leak, no valve adjustment or other service typical of the era and just a really good engine. The only problem was lack of power! When you’ve hand propped one to start with tremendous predictability for years, heard it running like a clock for hours and hours (1800 hrs is the A65 TBO today) you figure that out.

@Jujupilote, early military Cubs mostly had A65s, I’m no expert on that period but I bet there were a whole bunch of A65s around at Normandy.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Jan 18:43
Sign in to add your message