Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ramp check stories and reports (all causes)

In 30 years of flying never had a ramp check as defined above. Did have checks of documentation by police, but only on two fields, one at LERS (Reus), and probably 20+ at LESL, San Luis, Menorca. ‘Documentation’ meaning pilot license, medical, insurance, cert. of registration, cert. of airworthiness. Also check whether the serial number placard corresponds to what the aircraft docs say. And filling in forms of course, including the name of my parents They must have a binder full in Menorca of just me. The reason of the regular Menorca checks probably have to do with smuggling of naughty goods. Then again, never seen a sniffer dog, but maybe just police showing up is enough of a deterrent for naughty boys.

Related to a different recent thread, never have had any kind of remark about operating a foreign reg aircraft in Spain. Nor have I heard of any other owners ever having had a problem. So that does not seem to be enforced.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

boscomantico wrote:

More details please. What did they check in 10 minutes, and what did they not check?

Snoopy wrote:

That sounds more like a random police check on the ramp rather than a ramp check acc. EU regs → https://www.easa.europa.eu/downloads/94197/en

I wasn’t aware there was a standard ramp inspection, and it seems mine was more of a police check. They checked airworthiness documents, including registration, annual inspection, ARC, recent service releases, journey log, etc., as well as my documents (ID, logbook for currency, medical, license). I keep all of the airworthiness related docs in one place neatly organized, so this went quickly. This was done by uniformed police agents who seemed to target me specifically. I presume, as Ibra said, that the recent refurb may be the reason. Also I’m an American with a Romanian aircraft based in NL, and carrying a Dutch child who isn’t my own (we have to go through security of course). So maybe a bit suspicious…

Last Edited by dutch_flyer at 16 May 07:48
EHRD, Netherlands

Posts moved to existing thread

Standard EASA form for SAFA RI.

I am told the bizjet business gets these regularly. Piston GA very rarely. I am not sure I’ve ever heard from anyone who got this one, although there have been reports of ramp checks in France where the police had a briefing sheet showing specimen FAA licenses (for hitting N-regs).

I’ve had my license looked at many times (the plastic card FAA one; I don’t carry my wallet with all the UK papers) but never the medical(s). Including at LFQQ 2 days ago, going to airside. And police approached me at Poitiers, IIRC, a few years ago, with some questions. I never got the impression the “inspector” knew anything about anything on it.

But never had an “organised ramp check” as such.

One hears about them, with various info like what briefing papers the police had. Mostly France or Italy. German police systematically inspected a load of ULs at some UL fly-in there, checking they got permits or whatever, a few years ago. In piston GA, they are too sporadic to form a picture.

I wasn’t aware there was a standard ramp inspection, and it seems mine was more of a police check

There isn’t; most of them seem to be casual ones, unless you get the widely reported “French police training at Biarritz” thing where there is a school there for this, and they occassionally do a “complete turnover” of somebody’s plane. OTOH I know somebody who landed there many times and never got touched.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I know somebody who landed there many times and never got touched.

And I know someone who beside getting the ‘complete welcome treatment’ also was breathalyzed at 11am after a flight from the UK

Another good French Airport that is now rendered ‘unuseable’

I assume that “Breathalyze” means an alcohol test? Why would an airport get “unuseable” if you get randomly tested?

Germany

You got breathalyzed at Biarritz??

I don’t suppose many people fly there anyway, with the cost hike from ~€10 (2003) to ~€200 recently, although this 2022 database report suggests the silly pricing has gone, perhaps recently.

Biarritz certainly had the biggest reputation of all European airports for ramp checks.

I think the “unusable” sentiment would not be alcohol tests but 1-2hrs wasted on a comprehensive ramp check. If you are actually going to the city, that’s ok, but if just say refuelling, why risk it? I have used La Rochelle for refuelling.

Administrator

I recently did a touch-and-go at LFBZ, flying out of Dax. We didn’t land because I was told it costs €40. However I don’t know about handling and parking charges there.

I did fly with the club there about 15 years ago, but obviously they don’t pay per landing. Even for fuel it’s not great. I was in the middle of getting fuel – no self-serve, the pumps are operated by the fuel truck guy – when a jet landed. He leapt into his truck and drove off at speed. When he returned 20 minutes later he explained that the carriers have absolute priority. It took me nearly an hour to get fuel!

It’s a shame, we spend about a third of our time in that part of the world. I’d fly there, sometimes at least, but there’s nowhere to put the plane. LFBZ is crazy expensive, Dax (LFBY) is military, and anywhere else is an hour or more driving time, which defeats the object. Plus which, we need a car when we’re there anyway.

LFMD, France

Ultimately, what is the point of asking for proof of insurance paper, radio certificates, and all that? There is no way to verify them unless they call up the actual insurance company or agency and double check. Be the easiest thing in the world to fly around with absolutely no insurance or anything, if you were subversively inclined. Unless there’s an IATA/IACO database for all that were it gets logged, it’s a pointless exercise. Yeah, FAA certificates can be checked online, but that’s about it. Not even the medical data there is accurate.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 16 May 15:10

Ultimately, what is the point of asking for proof of insurance paper, radio certificates, and all that?

I was not aware that the aircraft FCC radio 10 years certificate has expired, it was pointed to me while waiting on a ramp in France, we definitely had it payed & renewed (we had traces of emails) we just never received the new printed paper, they were ok to take our word for it after few failed calls at 10am morning (the guy who runs the trust will be on 3am clock)

A very friendly encounter even if it was not clear what customs were after?

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 15:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ultimately, what is the point of asking for proof of insurance paper, radio certificates, and all that? There is no way to verify them unless…

That’s absolutely true, but this is how 99% of “documentation” works, in every walk of life.

Aviation docs, the thick power of attorney document for your mum with dementia, birth certificate, driving license, you name it. None of these get checked (unless the examiner really thinks you are a crook) but everybody in the system is happy, which means that the sun shines and the birds sing

Like I said, the data is too sparse (and I would bet that 90%+ is unreported, for various reasons) so it is hard to draw conclusions, but I think it is fair to say that in the countries which generate most of the ramp check reports (and it is only 2 or 3 which keep coming up, with the other ~30 countries of Europe doing no ramp checks at all) the “airport police” are clueless (mostly recruited for an IQ not above 80) so there is no systematic nature to it – as indeed the reports show quite clearly.

Even on the one topic on which a ramp check in the EU could be easily organised, and would be quite productive – evidence of EU VAT paid – the reports are very sparse. And no data comes back e.g. whether the inspector demanded a C88, some other CofFC, or was happy with just the purchase invoice showing VAT (which provides nothing re whether it was actually paid).

So, a lot of FUD, but who wants to get unlucky?

10 years certificate has expired, it was pointed to me while waiting on a ramp in France

Who exactly did that ramp check, and did they have a briefing paper listing these items? You have to be pretty well briefed to dig up something that obscure.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message