Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Headsets (merged)

Maybe the new UFLYMIKE microphones for the new range of Bose Headphones will be something to consider?!

Im super happy with my Bose QC15 and the old UFLYMIKE microphone, and had success using it on all type of aircrafts. Also noisy ones.

spirit49
LOIH

Reviving a perennial topic. My hearing has developed a faint ringing over the past 7 months (ever since I flew a 150hp supercub?!?) so am looking at either QT Halo, Zulu 2’s or maybe Bose. I am in the US at the end of next week so will probably buy there either online to a relative (or if there is a shop in Vegas, please let me know).

QT Halo has a certain appeal as seems to be low maintenance and lower price, but so many enthusiastic reviews for Zulu 2/Bose A20. Other option is to ANR convert my DC 10-13.4’s I guess, but most important is that ears do not get worse. Thanks in advance.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

IMHO nothing gets remotely close to the Bose A20.

You need to check it for comfort, which is a very personal thing.

But in straight performance, there is no contest. I used to have the Bose X and when I got the A20 I kept looking at the engine gauges and the speedo, checking that the plane was really doing the 138kt IAS at 11.5 GPH

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lower price

I know this is easy to say, but if you intend to be in GA for ahile, then don’t accept lower hearing protection for a saving in money.

When I started flying 15 years ago, I bought the best headset that money could by (A DC ANR, which cost around €1,100 at the time). I could barely afford it.

But 15 years later, I’m still using it, and it’s as good today as new. Sure tech has moved on a bit, but my hearing is well protected. That’s €73 per year, and less as time goes on. Any saving starts to pale into insignificance if you keep using the product long term. You’ll tend to take good care of it if it’s yours and you paid a lot for it ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

IMHO nothing gets remotely close to the Bose A20.

+1 on Bose. I recently tried a friend’s active headset of a different brand and it would produce an annoying loud noise when for example doors were shut.

By the way, I have two “Bose® Aviation Headset X (Battery Power)” from 2008 laying around.. Not many hours on those.

LPFR, Poland

I’ve got a QT halo on order, so can report back if it turns up any time soon.

EGBB

CKN wrote:

or if there is a shop in Vegas, please let me know).

There is a BOSE outlet store in Vegas here: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/las-vegas-north

BUT check with them if they carry aviation headsets (I vaguely recall that the BOSE outlet stores do not, but worth a phone call)

Talking of that: we all know that any commodity product doubles in price, at least, if it gets an “aviation” label attached. How feasible would it be to buy a “consumer” headset of good quality, and adapt it for aviation use? Soldering on another (set of) connector(s) should be no problem, for several participants here. Hardest might be to find a good base model with a decent microphone – most consumer grade headsets are for listening only.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@Jan there was / is a kit to turn a BOSE (IIRC the A15) into an aviation headset. Google it, may still be out there. The issue seems to be that a) by the time you’ve done that the total price isn’t that far off a dedicated aviation model and b) that the ANR is programmed differently, IOW the aviation version is tuned to the noise signature of aviation. If the latter is true, I have no idea, though.

@Jan_Olieslagers @172driver
There is such a kit produced by UFlyMike. Since I have a Bose QC15 headset anyway, I’ll buy one on my next trip to the US.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
Sign in to add your message