Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How does flying with IMCR / IR(R) *really* work?

Sounds like behind a paywall. That site was going to go mostly behind a paywall but they must have realised most people won’t pay so they are doing some of it only.

There is a heavy NATS/CAA presence there, even the CAA pilot persecution chief is/was a member (under a nickname), and discussing the UK infringements policy is very unpopular. We got the same here but they didn’t get very far.

but in practice you would not violate Class E under a traffic service IFR?

In the absence of an explicit clearance, you definitely would be busting.

I’ve never tested this in the UK but did so in France in 2003 and got busted for it (posted previously several times). An ATC service means nothing.

That a half decent lawyer would get you off is a different matter

However, I’ve just searched some MOR collections from 2022 and 2023 and did not find any references to Class E. Farnborough (the principal subject in any Class E UK discussion) features heavily as the contender for the world record in MOR writing (100ft into the LTMA is enough to get MORd) but it seems to be all Class A and D. So I suspect, as mentioned before, not many people are doing the Farnborough Class E under IFR openly.

it is common practice to seek where possible a traffic service when operating in IMC and outside radar controlled service Class A and D

I agree; any radar service is worth asking for.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter agree that if you stray into Class E on a traffic service without a clearance it is an infringement, hence belt and braces requesting confirmation that you are cleared into Class E. Having a pre planned gate to request the clearance helps, in effect your own ‘self made clearance limit’ where you would hold until cleared.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

that if you stray into Class E on a traffic service without a clearance it is an infringement,

Only if you are IFR.

Administrator

OK but then you are wearing a LARS squawk although they will ask if you are under IFR. The 2000 conspicuity is usually only used while establishing a new service. The LARS provider would have to dob you in it, or the Class E airspace owner check with the LARS unit what rules you are under. Welcome to UK Byzantium. In practice I would suggest low risk, as borne out by the actual infringements recorded – null?

I couldn’t find any Class E near Farnborough.

The above is a chart from 2 years ago. I’d have to start up FF to get the latest but AFAIK no change there.

Administrator

@Peter still there at altitude 4,500 floor, thank you for pointing out!

Peter_G wrote:

Fernando:
It is the IMC/IR(R) video in the Flyers Membership section.

Many thanks, Peter. Just watched it.

EGSU, United Kingdom

On class E I very nearly talked myself into an infringement north of Inverness when I needed to climb to get above some showers while on a traffic service.

Upon saying I was switching to IFR I was very quickly reminded about the class E I was about to enter in the climb (“in that case, class E airspace above you…”], and given a clearance.

Farnborough have also cleared me through that bit of E above IFR, but it was a properly grotty day and very quiet as a result.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom
78 Posts
Sign in to add your message