Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is Apple still in business?

what_next wrote:

Mainly because they force you to install update after update (just like Windows…) until the hardware can’t cope with it any longer.

Actually they don’t. The updates are only applied if you actively approve each and every OS update. You can run a backlevel version of the OS for as long as you like.

My Dad still has my old iPhone 4, which is now 7 years old – it still looks new, and runs fine (it’s on its second battery). My own phone is 3 years old and I have no plans to replace it.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

Actually they don’t. The updates are only applied if you actively approve each and every OS update. You can run a backlevel version of the OS for as long as you like.

It depends on the Apps which you want (or need) to run. If it were for me, my iPad 2 would still run on the same iOS 6 with which it was delivered. That was a perfect combination and looked very pretty. Unfortunately, some Apps (most importantly Jeppesen mobile flight deck) forced me to update to a newer version of iOS. This slowed down the iPad and makes it look ugly because all the newer interfaces and fonts are designed for retina displays and look awful on non-retina units. And there is no way back. On the Macintosh I can boot from an external disk, eben a USB stick if speed is not important, and run older or newer OS versions as I wish. And I can upgrade or downgrade any time. I will never understand why I can’t re-install the original iOS 6 on my iPad…

Last Edited by what_next at 21 Sep 16:29
EDDS - Stuttgart

AF wrote:

Who needs to wait for Apple to do this…

That’s very cool! I want one of those…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Updates on both ios and android are quite aggressive, but more so on ios where the desktop just fills up with update tags, and short of a jailbreak (which is a load of hassle) you can’t stop these. On android the app updates can be blocked easily in the shop app; you can’t block the constant nags for the OS update unless you root the device and then the OS updates stop automatically but you can still update apps as you wish. The only reason I haven’t rooted my main phone (the backup and the tablet are rooted) is because I would lose the Pay feature… there is a way around that but it is complicated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In iOS you do not have to update anything. You get a red mark in the settings, showing an update is available, but you do not have to install it, nor do you have to install any app updates.

If you know how it works you also downgrade the iOS, there’s many instructions how to do that on the net, and you do not have to jailbreak the device.

You can downgrade IOS only back to the last signed version. Usually this means one back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Isn’t that enough? You don’t like the new version, you go back to the old version.

I just UPDATED my three iOS devices (iPhone 7, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad mini 4) to iOS11, and I really like it. It has many very nice new features.

Alexis wrote:

I just UPDATED my three iOS devices (iPhone 7, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad mini 4) to iOS11, and I really like it.

All these are faily new devices. Thy the latest iOS on my trusted iPad 2 and you will start crying, even as a grown up man who has seen (almost) anything.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I am very well aware of that, and that’s why I switch to never versions every two years. As I said, I sell the older devices every two years. The rest my tax consultant deals with, but it’s really not a big factor if you use the devices for work.

Alexis wrote:

As I said, I sell the older devices every two years.

Humanity can be divided into two groups … those who like to have new stuff all the time and those who like to hang onto trusted stuff. I clearly belong to the latter and therefore the concept of “upgrading” (and more so: being forced to upgrade!) goes against my very nature. Myself I have earned my living developing engineering software for quite some time. Therefore I know that when you don’t have new products on offer, you sell your customer an “upgrade” instead. And this is the other reason why I hate to upgrade stuff because I hate to be cheated.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message