Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much democracy in the cockpit

If I might add that one of the myths spread by the ACME philosophy of training wannabe jet crew is that our single engine piston aircraft have a rotation speed. These aircraft lift off naturally and should not require positive rotation typical of a swept wing jet, only gentle back pressure is required.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

eddsPeter wrote:

But maybe Vieke you have done that.

Of course I did, but no immediate reaction and that is why I blocked the yoke from being pulled further and tried (and managed) to level off. I released the pushing on the yoke and as a reflex he pulled again because we were very low and he wanted to climb to have a save altitude (and coming like that is the beginning of the classical secondary stall situation because we gained not enough speed yet.)

Last Edited by Vieke at 06 Feb 21:41
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

eddsPeter wrote:

named yourself as PiC

The PIC is the PIC… if the CFI is the PIC but had tranferred control to the student that’s perfectly fine and legal….In reverse, if the student is logging as PIC then the CFI should not grab the controls without a positive verbal call-out to do so… Unless there is an emergency.

When two pilots are in the cockpit only one can be PIC. Even if a CFI is sitting in the right seat there must not be any sudden, deliberate or accidental interference with the controls by the right seat pilot. In this scenario, the CFI is a passenger and is not in a student/instructor mode.

I have never seen mph on an instrument, how does one confuse knots with mph? Who would have mph on an airspeed indicator where all V speeds are in knots?

Last Edited by USFlyer at 06 Feb 21:50

because they are both on the same instrument, the outer circle mph, the smaller innercircle: kts

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

RobertL18C wrote:

These aircraft lift off naturally and should not require positive rotation typical of a swept wing jet, only gentle back pressure is required.

Yes absolutely yes. Or even beyond: I was taught (and practice almost religiously) to taxi with the stick fully back (to relieve stress from the nosewheel) , and take off still with the stick fully back. Apply full power, gain speed, and as she lifts off – whenever she pleases to! – stick forward to keep up speed.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

USFlyer wrote:

I have never seen mph on an instrument,

You haven’t seen much, then. Don’t I remember the US army Piper Cubs all had that, and probably many others, too?
Welcome to see my ASI in km/h

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Here’s one of mine – mph

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

And here’s another – kph

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

And here: even two on one

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

FIRST of all, I don’t like it if people are called things (condemned) for what they do especially when they write about it here openly on this forum.

I have a pilot friend who flew along with a PIC and where that PIC would freeze completely while landing and not be able to act anymore. My friend stepped up and saved both from crashing. Would you just sit next to that guy and do nothing? Not me.

I once was flying to Saint Hubert (EBSH) in Belgium. We were taking off from 32R and I was sitting in the right hand seat. The guy sitting left was the PIC and flew the aircraft and was slow in adding speed on the takeoff roll and rotated quite late and all of a sudden thought he might not make it over the trees at the end of the runway. There was no way for him to land anymore on the departing runway. As a reflect he retarded the throttle completely and pulled the nose up. I asked what he was doing and he said we were going too fast for him. Of course I instantly intervened and pushed the throttle forward and pushed the nose down as not to stall. No question in my mind I would let that happen to me.

The reason I don’t want to fly as passenger in the back seat anymore is that from there I cannot intervene if it needed to be (in those very rare instances).

On one occasion during a transport flight during the Coupe Breitling race, a low hours/experience pilot “had” to do a ferry flight from Béziers (LFMU) in the South of France at night to Nevers (LFQG) more in the middle of France. He was transporting me and my radio/navigator as we just completed our 4 hour leg in the competing aircraft to Béziers as part of the Coupe Breitling race and we had to be moved/transported in one of the transporting aircraft. Sitting in the back and listening to their bad RT up front, I pulled my headphone out of the wall socket and tried to sleep a little. After a few hours of flight we made a very hard landing as the not so experienced pilot sitting up front did not expect the runway to be there already and more or less slammed the aircraft into the runway. Since then, I do not sit in the back anymore in situations like this. If I would have been next to him, I would have been able to prevent it from happening by pulling along on the yoke. Now sitting in the back, there was nothing I could do.

I fly a lot together with other pilots and think that is a lot of fun. In about all situations (in normal instances) we divide roles. One is PIC and flies and the other does the radio and does the NAV setup. I never ever intervene and let things happen. But when I am about to crash, I of course would not wait and let an accident happen. And in the few instances that I did “help out” the PIC never objected and thanked me afterwards.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 06 Feb 22:11
EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message