Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much democracy in the cockpit

It’s a dangerous idea that if you are a passenger and you don’t like something the pilot is doing that you would grab the controls and fight for the plane. In fact, it’s a license loser in the USA.

it’s a license loser in the USA.

Reference please, for an appropriate (safety-of-life) scenario.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is interesting. Grabbing the controls is not my first choice (asking → telling → talking louder → ordering → ordering louder → not yelling yelling, but something in between → … push the controls) but it is certainly an option if the situation continues.

And even once, I sat on the right of the PIC and he was rolling for take off, but pulled too early and his nose too high (stall warning yelling and you felt the beginning) ..he had not the reflex of lowering the nose and gaining speed ( that was also a time I pushed the yoke to stay level and gain speed (as a reflex of that, he pulled again the nose up (again stall warning on very very low altitude (a few meters above the runway) and I pushed harder and kept the yoke there until we had a safe speed for climbing and I took my hands of the yoke and let him do his job. At higer altitude he realised the situation.

If that would have been a reason for loosing my license in the US… I have serious questions.

Last Edited by Vieke at 06 Feb 17:58
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Peter wrote:

Reference please, for an appropriate (safety-of-life) scenario..

Part 91.11 – Prohibition on interference with crew members

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=14:2.0.1.3.10#se14.2.91_111

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 06 Feb 18:09
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

It’s a dangerous idea that if you are a passenger and you don’t like something the pilot is doing that you would grab the controls and fight for the plane

Probably the first time that I agree on something here with USFlyer.

If you fly as a passenger with another pilot, that’s just the way it is. You have to accept that he is the pilot and that you will not interfere, all the way to the landing, or, possibly, all the way to the crash (unless specific other agreements are taken for some reason). If you don’t have that faith in the pilot, don’t fly with him. It’s that simple. But there is no “I will let him fly allright, but when it gets bad, I might take over because I think I can handle it better”. I’m a bit shocked that we have to discuss this here. It’s a basic principle. Again, if you don’t like it, don’t fly with that pilot or any other pilot for that matter. Your choice.

And even once, I sat on the right of the PIC and he was rolling for take off, but pulled too early and his nose too high (stall warning yelling and you felt the beginning) ..he had not the reflex of lowering the nose and gaining speed ( that was also a time I pushed the yoke to stay level and gain speed (as a reflex of that, he pulled again the nose up (again stall warning on very very low altitude (a few meters above the runway) and I pushed harder and kept the yoke there until we had a safe speed for climbing and I took my hands of the yoke and let him do his job.

That sounds no good at all. You are – in relative terms – a totally rookie pilot. The fact that the other pilot did apparently not object does not make it any better. What do you know about the stall warning on that aircraft? Maybe it is very sensitive? Maybe the sight picture is very different from the right hand side than from the left hand side? If you are a passenger, don’t interfere.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Probably the first time that I agree on something here with USFlyer.

Yes, to be more blunt, it is a Federal offence with potential jail time involved. It doesn’t matter whether you are a pilot or not – in a single pilot aircraft you are a passenger.

Having said that if you clearly were in danger of letting said pilot kill you, I’m sure you’d have a reasonable defence…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

If you hear the stall warning and there is no reaction and then you feel the beginning of it (not only the sound of the horn) then I don’t think it is because the sound was too sensitive, anyway, a crash was better.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Having said that if you clearly were in danger of letting said pilot kill you, I’m sure you’d have a reasonable defence…

That’s what I meant by “an appropriate (safety-of-life) scenario”

To suggest that one does nothing in a dangerous situation is just silly. Of course one would initially say something and progressively make the point more forcefully.

You are – in relative terms – a totally rookie pilot

A totally uncalled-for assertion. You are suggesting Vieke just sits there and allows a fatal accident? I wouldn’t and neither would you (I would hope).

Administrator

To suggest that one does nothing in a dangerous situation is just silly.

Let’s be honest: we all don’t know how exactly we would react in a (perceived) dangerous situatuon, if sitting in the right front seat with a pair of controls in front of us. I think nobody can say for sure that he won’t touch them in fear of life.

But I thought, like AnthonyQ, that it was important to point out the principle, which, frankly, some people here do not seem to have understood, which I find worrisome.

A totally uncalled-for assertion.

That’s your sole opinion. From my side, it was nothing but a statement of fact.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Feb 18:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That’s your sole opinion. From my side, it was nothing but a statement of fact.

To call someone who has flown VFR to Turkey and back (something which at least 99.9% of European PPLs will never do in their entire flying career) a “totally rookie pilot” and then justifying it as a “statement of fact” is outrageous. How far out of Germany was your longest trip, Bosco?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message