Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much flying are people doing?

I bought a Grumman Tiger in 2011, and accumulated 50 hours between the 2011 annual and the 2012 one. Hoping for a much better figure this year.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Well I have to say I am most envious of peoples hours so far. I have managed a meagre sub 5 hours this year so far.

Well actually I have only done 2 myself, mostly because our annual lapsed, then mid way during xmas, the polish engineers went home for 3 weeks, leaving our plane unfinished and unusable. Then the weather turned bad lol. Going to make up for it this weekend if some decent'ish weather comes my way.

I own two planes, and between them fly about 120 hours a year. Added to that, I probably fly an additional 20 hours a year maintenance check flights, sales demo, and training, and a further 30 hours a year test flying modified aircraft. I'm hoping for a longer trip (+1000 miles from home) in the amphibian this summer.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

PiperArcher said:

....then mid way during xmas, the polish engineers went home for 3 weeks, leaving our plane unfinished and unusable....

You cannot trust a Pole, can you?! I know - I am one of them :)

YSCB

120 hours last year, after buying a TB10 and finishing my PPL in late November 2011. That includes 16 hours training for the IMCr and 5 for the night rating.

Hoping to log the same this year, and for my fiancée to do 30 or so on her way to a PPL. Given we can only fly on weekends I can't see us ever flying more than 200 hours a year.

EGEO

Good morning, I own a Beech F33A,my total in 2012 was 135 hours. Made my PPL in June 2012, so with 45 hours PPL training, 5 night flight hours,than added 75 hours on Beech from June to Oktober. regards detlev

EDHE

Average over the last 2 years has been more than 320 hours per year. I do not expect to fly the same amount of hours this year, but then again, the year is not over. I am part-owner in a Piper Archer III and fly a Cirrus SR22 Turbo which I rent from its owner that flies it for less than 30 hrs per year. When the weather turns bad, I tend to fly on the Cirrus, which has a stormscope, is FIKI approved and so on. I tend to use it more as a traveling machine and only fly it IFR. When going with my wife to France to visit friends and explore new places, we fly the Piper, fly lower and a mix of VFR and IFR.

EDLE, Netherlands

Good morning!

35 hours so far this year, the usual January/February low season figure, maybe a bit less than the other years - the economic downturn seems to reach Germany now too. No instructing so far apart from a few sessions in the simulator (FNPT II). No private flying yet, except my MEP/IR checkride which I consider private as I have to pay the bill. This will require 15-20hours instruction time to recover the cost - flying instruction is rather a cost-sharing scheme than a profitable job really. But I do it more for the satisfaction I get from it than for the money.

On average, I fly 300 to 350 hours a year in my part-time job on Citations and another 50 to 150 as instructor, mostly MEP/IR on a Pa44. All block-hours as pilot-in-command (which is probably what they call a "P1" outside JAR/EASA-FLC?), alternating between pilot flying and pilot monitoring. The latter used to be called "pilot non fylying" but this is one of the most nonsensical terms ever invented as everybody on board an aeroplane is flying otherwise it would be a road vehicle :-) Actual hand-flying time may be as low as two hours per year.

EDDS - Stuttgart

About 200 hours a year. Pretty well all of it instruction. I've never really made an annual profit with my best year being about 600 quid. With my worst loss being about 5400 pounds but that was due to me converting my UK BCPL to JAR CPL and then only to find out later that I would have been given it for free.

Sadly I expect I'm in for quite a few years of loss (and sleepless nights) with all the regulations that are being forced upon us.

I would be much better of being out of this game.

80-100 hours annually, typically 8-12 types in that.

The split these days seems to be roughly 50% instructing, 35% commuting or leisure flying, and 15% test flying.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.
Sign in to add your message