Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much flying are people doing?

Mmmm interesting actually.

2012 I flew 47:30 but 15 of that was IMC and 5 was Night Qual. So 26 Hours privately. 2011 Bugger All... long story but took me ages to get into a club in Germany. Then before that about 12 to 15 hours per year....

I thought I was flying less now, but I am actually doing a little more :-D

EDHS, Germany

You cannot trust a Pole, can you?! I know - I am one of them :)

;-) I am definitely not attacking Pole's, and hopefuly you knew that. It was more the inconvenience of having an annual started, and then the aircraft sitting around doing nothing for some weeks unable to be flown. It wasnt the engineers fault, if I was them I would have gone home and had a good xmas too. And to be fair, the quality of this annual has been much better than previous occasions where something invariably needs to go back and be adjusted.

I suppose the question I would ask is whether the company quoted a turnaround time knowing that the staff would not be around?

One certainly hears plenty of accounts of Annuals taking months, but I think in most cases it is a lack of organisation re getting parts in for the work needed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

2012 I flew 47:30 but 15 of that was IMC

Wow, how do you get to 33% IMC in your flying? I don't record IMC time but it can't be more than an hour and a half in my whole post exam career. I find myself climbing/descending through IMC but never actually flying in IMC enroute. Even if I had deicing, I wouldn't change much as it really isn't very comfortable with all the turbulence. I guess the most important IMC avoidance tool I have is my turbocharger and oxygen system.

Wow, how do you get to 33% IMC in your flying? I don't record IMC time but it can't be more than an hour and a half in my whole post exam career

I'm probably the same as itialianjon. If I can log it as IMC, then I will. When you fly only a handful of number of hours a month, I want to log as much as I can as as 'Instrument Time'. Sometimes this means a bit of extra flying in cloud to keep current and to log it, or more borderline logging when it is very low viz and I am flying solely by reference to the instruments, or when doing a renewal with an instructor.

I suspect that

but 15 of that was IMC

refers to the UK IMC Rating, which in the UK is often called just "IMC" and it requires a minimum of 15hrs of dual training.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the 35 hours in the last 3 months I have 6 hours actual IMC. Admittedly this is high but flying long IFR in Europe it happens. Most of it was on the last trip back from Berlin where we had 100kt headwind and were in IMC at FL220 for hours.

EGTK Oxford

Most of it was on the last trip back from Berlin where we had 100kt headwind and were in IMC at FL220 for hours.

That sounds horrible...

At any point did you really wish you had just stayed on the ground???

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Yes, it was IMC Rating (IMCr) I was trying to say that the course was 15 hours, and that knocked my total up for 2012.

I was surprised that my underlying "normal" recreational flying was higher than normal, because it felt a lot less. I thought about that today though and when I was UK based I used to fly a lot with a few other pilots, and at the moment I am still meeting people in the club to fly with and so most of my 2012 flying was solo/with non-pilot friends.

EDHS, Germany

At any point did you really wish you had just stayed on the ground???

It was actually fine just slow. Only got bumpy going through the front itself. 100kt headwind is not fun but different in a plane that cruises at 185-210 kts vs one that does 130.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message