Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How often do SE IMC pilots practice limited panel/engine failure/PFL procedures?

Peter,
that’s a nice long list, a bit too dramatic for me though :-)

The Warrior we are talking about here got an overhauled engine in 1987, and it has flown 1600 hours on that engine, without any failure. So where is the shock cooling damage?

The problem, like in other discussions we had, is that such a drama is beeing made of it.

I never had any problem with my pants doing an engine out landing from such an altitude. Any pilot should be able to do that.

Cirrus: both were at around 500 ft AGL – and both immediately “pulled”. They did exactly what the Cirrus training teaches, and did not bother to find out what was wrong.

And i am glad they did pull! All occupants unharmed.

Both pilots admitted it openly on COPA, and guess what: there’s a culture there where nobody insulted or demeaned them – everybody sent congratulations. In Europe they would be eaten alive by all the Skygods who never make mistakes.

Cirrus: both were at around 500 ft AGL – and both immediately “pulled”. They did exactly what the Cirrus training teaches, and did not bother to find out what was wrong.
And i am glad they did pull! All occupants unharmed.
Both pilots admitted it openly on COPA, and guess what: there’s a culture there where nobody insulted or demeaned them – everybody sent congratulations. In Europe they would be eaten alive by all the Skygods who never make mistakes.

If they have a forum where they get congratulated on running out of fuel at 500ft, that is an excellent editorial achievement. Long may it last

Such a forum has to be behind a paywall. The mods will definitely need to be paid.

The subsequent re-education may be less pleasant, as would be getting insurance afterwards – public positioning of the US insurers notwithstanding.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s a matter of

I guess if you “sh* yourself” then the first thing would be to get over that and regain some ability to act. How do you train that?

LSZK, Switzerland

Obviously I would not actually sh*t myself but the required procedure (which is what matters) can be trained without creating an actual risk of the engine not restarting.

Administrator

I am sorry that you react that way. I am actually able to show more empathy for a pilot who makes such a stupid mistake. One of them has 2400 h in the Cirrus, it was night, low vis, … he made the mistake, and it looks like he was lower than 300 ft. The chute did not even open completely, and he broke an ankle.

It is great, Peter, that you would never make such a mistake. I envy you.

It is great, Peter, that you would never make such a mistake. I envy you.

I make loads of mistakes, Flyer59, (and BTW stop putting words in my mouth) but if I run out of juice at 500ft then you all have my blanket authorisation to discuss it here as you wish

Administrator

Just try to show a little empathy for a pilot who made a stupid mistake and openly admitted it, which i found very brave, and all is fine. They both escaped alive, and that’s what counts, for me.

COPA is a great place for Cirrus pilots. $ 65 is nothing for the support they provide.

Their editorial policy in the public section is not above letting somebody slag off somebody flying a different type, as some found out, so I wonder what it is like when you pay the $65…

You have skilfully turned the debate around to emotional issues like [alleged lack of] empathy, which is a good technique but not exactly relevant to how much risk is reasonable in a PFL.

Administrator

Actually there’s MANY pilots of other types on COPA. All get along very well.

Well, the emotional aspect was important to me. That’s why i mentioned it. Emotions are a fact.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 02 Jan 14:46
Sign in to add your message