Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How will the PPL be taught when paper charts disappear?

Fact check: how many of the forum members have seen an iPad actually crashing?

Peter wrote:

I don’t buy the Ipad explanation as a major factor because that device is not reliable enough for serious usage. You never know when it will shut down due to heat, or just crash.

I would agree that it’s not the only factor (I stated as much). It can’t do everything an MFD can, but I think it’s a strong competition when it comes to displaying approach charts or a moving map. For example a GTN650 with a Flight Stream and an iPad isn’t a bad combination in a light aeroplane. I would prefer it to a traditional “stackable” MFD (even if I had to carry a backup iPad, both of them dedicated for that). And no matter what you or I think of iPads, people are actually using them in cockpits and it’s not like loss of a moving map is critical (it’s an inconvenience).

Do you seriously believe that??

Yes – I don’t waste my time winding people up, or tossing in zero-content one-liners, etc.

Your pet hate for Apple products is well known

That’s crap. I have an Ipad right here on my desk.

I have said many times that all similar tablets use similar technology and have similar heat issues, etc.

let’s stick with the facts, shall we?

Indeed.

I know, I know, the pressurized climate controlled cockpit is a different environment from a spam can

Exactly. There are half a dozen other reasons, listed many times here on EuroGA why this application example (document management, essentially, with dual redundant hardware and ZERO reporting of issues on GA pilot forums) is barely relevant to use in unpressurised GA for moving map products.

And guess what – they don’t fall out of the sky because their iPads aren’t working.

I am not aware of a mechanism which would cause a plane to crash because an Ipad carried on it has crashed. Can you describe such a mechanism? Stick with the facts, too.

how many of the forum members have seen an iPad actually crashing?

As regards reports of crashing, give it a week or two until the less regular readers have dropped in. One friend of mine in particular has reported it regularly, on here.

Also don’t expect any reports from the Apple fanboys

Mine has crashed loads of times – typically apps self-terminate. Does it matter? Not really, for ground use. My android tablet and phone reboot periodically too. My phone rebooted itself this morning. Irrelevant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Fact check: how many of the forum members have seen an iPad actually crashing?

In flight? I guess six or seven times, mostly due to heat problems. iPas Mini and iPad2. My Galaxy Tab Active didn’t until now. I think the iPads have become better, too.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Martin wrote:

and it’s not like loss of a moving map is critical (it’s an inconvenience).

Exactly, and I think the reason is most often dead battery. But, it is only an inconvenience if you have a backup, and if that backup is paper charts, then you better know how to use them. With a modern glass cockpit, this is hardly a problem, because the glass also has GPS and at least a rudimentary map. I stil believe i’s an idea to make sure the loss of a moving map stay only as an inconvenience, and this requires some thought and planning, and the solution will be different for different cockips and equipment (thinking VFR here).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Do you seriously believe that??
Yes – I don’t waste my time winding people up, or tossing in zero-content one-liners, etc..

If you’re unable to extrapolate the question from my “one-liner”, the full question is: do you seriously believe that the (indisputable) extremely high functionality of an iPad/tablet has had no impact on the demand for an MFD? My implied opinion was: If so, I think you are deluded (given the extremely high take-up of such devices in the cockpit).

I know many people like to write long-winded posts, as if short ones are less valuable. Personally, I think my “one-liner” conveyed all the above in succinct brevity.

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 29 Mar 03:47
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

That’s a different question. Thank you for expanding it.

Obviously the ipad has had an effect on MFD sales.

However the lack of VFR mapdata on most MFDs would not have helped them, too.

IIRC Avidyne offered the Jepp VFR charts on some of theirs but I never met anyone who paid for it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

italianjon wrote:

Although I don’t directly dislike GPS or iPads etc as a primary navigation device for VFR, I do worry about what I have seen. I know of a few pilots who have started to fly effectively IFR while VFR and rely on the traffic calls of ATC. They only glance out of the window as part of the instrument scan, of horizon, altimeter, magenta line. One of those uses the magenta line even in the circuit and only looks up on final… I won’t fly with him again.

This is part of the reason why the proper use of whatever navigation you would really use should be included in the PPL training. Not because an instructor is necessary to learn SkyDemon or ForeFlight (on contrary, I hardly met a single instructor who actually used one of these seriously, except for my PPL examiner), but because their input would be helpful to indoctrinate that your eyes do not wander too much inside the cockpit while you tweak your gadgets.
Of course the circuit should not be navigated by an iPad and a few traditinal navexes are good to have.

Peter wrote:

I don’t buy the Ipad explanation as a major factor because that device is not reliable enough for serious usage. You never know when it will shut down due to heat, or just crash.

I believe, like others, that the No 1 reason while the VFR MFD market is nonexsitent is the high prevalence of tablets and phablets. There is no way one would pay thousands of Euros for a certified (i.e. not up to date by a decade at least) piece of equipment which would also mean a vendor lock-in situation with the database updates over a tablet or smartphone app.

I am not aware of a mechanism which would cause a plane to crash because an Ipad carried on it has crashed. Can you describe such a mechanism?

This is the very reason why iPads or similar devices can very safely be used for VFR flight. Even if they do overheat or crash, it is rarely an emergency situation, and just by taking very easy precautions (like installing your favourite app on your phone as well as your tablet to have a backup) you can very well manage the sitution. Because of this for most VFR pilots it is a very easy decision to cut costs here and actually gain functionality.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
how many of the forum members have seen an iPad actually crashing?

I’ve had iDevices freeze completely on a few occasions, but I admit it is rare.

LFPT, LFPN

I’ve used my iPad in the heat of Texas in a Grumman Tiger and it’s not shut down or crashed. I’ve never had Skydemon crash.

That’s not to say it can’t possibly happen, but to be honest an iPad or Android device running something like Skydemon is vastly superior to any of the aviation handhelds ever made.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message