Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hungary

achimha wrote:

So the French model at Deauville works — a customs officer performs passport control but the other way around it cannot work — a police agent is not qualified to handle customs matters.

Sounds logical. Only that at Toussus, you can pass customs, but not immigration. So there must be some political reason behind that.

According to art. 67 Code des Douanes (http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006071570&idArticle=LEGIARTI000026911156) customs officers have full authority to check if travelers abide by immigration regulation.

However – they cannot check everyone systematically and they cannot carry out checks for more than six hours at the same place (kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me).

Vive la France!

Patrick wrote:

Patrick 11-Aug-15 11:28 #07
Do I have this correct?
No.

All three countries involved (Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania) are EU members. They are also (consequently) members of the European Union customs union (which is about the free movement of goods).

Czech Republic and Hungary are also members of the Schengen agreement (which is about the free movement of people). Romania is not.

In flying:

When flying between two countries that are both members of the customs union and the Schengen agreement, you do not need to do anything.
When flying between two countries that are members of the customs union, but not the Schengen agreement, you need to pass through immigration. That’s the border police potentially checking people’s passports, visa, and what not.
When flying between two countries that are part of the Schengen agreement, but not members of the customs union, you need to pass through customs. That’s some custom official potentially checking if you carry any goods that are subject to customs.
For you, that means when flying from Hungary to Romania or from Romania to Hungary, you need to fly from and to airports with customs facilities on both sides for each flight – because the two countries have no customs agreement in place.

Patrick has it correct for a great explanation. However in the end he takes the wrong turn and gets the answer wrong to your question. You only have to clear Immigration since it is EU but not Schengen.

Now it depends on why you want to go to Hungary? Visiting? Technical stop, fueling? I fly out of LHTL which is near Budapest and last time I was told it would cost 100 Euros to Clear Customs and Immigration because they have to leave BP and take a 45 min ride to the airport. Now if its only Customs or Immigration Im not sure but maybe you would pay less??? I would call LHBS and ask them how much for Officials to go to that airport since it is 1/2 hr less travel time and its practically in the city.

KHTO, LHTL

Achim,
it does not have to be Federal Police. From where i fly in Germany (EDML) the AFIS just call the local police when i fly to a EU/non-Schengfn country like Croatia. They just have a look at your passport, that’s it. And if they don’t show up – you can leave.

Flyer59 wrote:

it does not have to be Federal Police. From where i fly in Germany (EDML) the AFIS just call the local police when i fly to a EU/non-Schengfn country like Croatia. They just have a look at your passport, that’s it. And if they don’t show up – you can leave.

Police law is state law in Germany so everything can be different depending on where you are. In Baden-Württemberg, the AFIS would be auxiliary police and perform the check but the actual responsibility for border checks is — in both Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg — with the Federal Police. Probably in Bavaria there is an agreement where the state police can carry out such checks on behalf of the Federal Police as much as in our Bundesland the AFIS can do it.

I see!

36 Posts
Sign in to add your message