Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hvar LDSH / Brac LDSB advice please

Hvar was open in Sept 2017. I prefer it to Brac (which is great for customs and friendly and has fuel). A Robin or 182 should have no problem with the “meadow”—but I haven’t flown there off season.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 15 Feb 14:22
Tököl LHTL

redRover wrote:

So, if you just want to be on a boat or near the water, that’s fine, but for actual beach I think Portugal or something might be nicer, and the cost delta (ex-flying) is not that large between southern Portugal and Croatia.

I guess that being on the beach includes some swimming. There’s huge difference in sea-water temperature between Portugal and Croatia.

italianjon wrote:

Split are saying they have the GA restrictions in place until the end of October

Actually, it’s not a restriction but higher pricing for parking and multi-day in advance PPR. Which is not usually practical for GA. Zadar (LDZD) can be used as alternate if you can organize pick-up or if you plan to rent a car (about an hour and half of driving to Trogir). It’s and international airport and they have two GA aprons and they always have the capacity to park visiting aircraft. Price-wise they are much cheaper than Split.

Sinj is grass field operated by aero club – I guess you can easily agree on parking. But it’s one hour driving to Trogir which doesn’t make it much closer to Trogir than Zadar.

MoGas can be hardly be found at airfields in Croatia. 100LL is available everywhere as well as Jet A1.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Picking up on your cost post…big discounts with AOPA cards at Brac.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Interesting suggestions. I’ll decide which airport to use closer to the time. The regatta isn’t until October anyway. Plus some of us on the boat crew might do a few days sightseeing, which might influence the final decision.

Out of interest though, the VFR routes in Croatia (e.g. ADRIA et al.) I’ve been doing some reading and I can find opinions ranging from “don’t worry about them – they are a pre-radar relic” right through to “you HAVE TO follow them, without question” – I suppose Emir can help here? What is the real situation?

An initial idea of a route for me is to head from my base to Innsbruck, through the Brenner Pass, out over Bolzano, then east over Venice towards Pula, then turn south towards whichever airport is the finally decided destination. When thinking about it, how closely should I plan to follow the VFR routes?

Also, being a Rotax powered pilot, I like to avoid AVGAS where possible, but a tank of the stuff for the return journey shouldn’t be a problem.

Interesting about the AOPA discounts for Brac, any idea what they amount to?

EDHS, Germany

The AOPA Discount at BRAC is in the region of 50pc if I remember correctly.

At the end of August 2017 I paid 49euro for landing parking and Handling for 3days with the AOPA discount. For a PA32 1630kg MTOW 2pax.

The ladies in the office were very friendly and asked for the card to make sure I was getting the best price.

I usually plan to fly roughly on the Adria Routes as they tend to go where you want to go anyway!
Do you use SkyDeamon? They are all displayed on the chart which makes life easy.

I’ve always found ATC in this part of the world very friendly Pula Radar will likely take you from When you cross the FIR boundary down to past Losinj.

The sailing sounds fun…so many great islands to explore!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

VFR routes are just recommended routes but you basically can fly whatever you file. The idea is to avoid IFR airways and to ease ATC’s job. However, flying low you won’t interfere CAT.

Brac AOPA discount is 50% plus every fourth landing in one year is free of charge.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message