Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing: Mission gap between NA, TN, TC engines, HOT/COLD propellers, and CLEAN, TKS, FIKI wings?

Why mention the SR22

Mentioned further back in this thread by someone else.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Typical track miles from TOD (say FL090) on a RVILS might be 40nm plus assuming no delays, so 20 or 30 minutes flying in crud. This assumes no go around.

Indeed, the elephant in the room are traffic delay and going around, but you have to pick your battles? why on earth would one fly in most busy piece of airspace in single engine piston in days with 2km & 300ft in AD METAR with tops > 10kft and 6kft icing band in middle? I guess one will be to factor “VFR TAF” or plan B into the equation? put simply: coming from France rather than going to Oxford, Biggin Hill (Elstree or White Waltham for the braves), you put it down in Lydd, Shoreham or Southend? 500€ of TKS bill should cover the black cab taxi trip

In France, as long as you stay away from Paris, Nantes and Nice, ATC can offer better ROD, you can even ask for overhead at FL90 !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Typical track miles from TOD (say FL090) on a RVILS might be 40nm plus assuming no delays, so 20 or 30 minutes flying in crud. This assumes no go around.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That’s garbage, sorry. I just have known a number of owners, and the last one told me the stuff lasts about 15 mins on max flow. Sounds like he doesn’t know his aircraft; it is 37 mins, officially. And since 37 mins is “a lot less … than 1hr” it turns out I was totally right. The whole Cirrus thing is such an explosive topic… all over social media. All over their own social media, too. And all over FB. And all over EuroGA in years past, with some owners chucking all their toys out and leaving (the Cirrus v. Mooney thread). Like a bomb waiting to go off. It’s crazy.

Why mention the SR22 at all then, for years, in similar fashion? Loads of other planes don’t even have proper TKS but only prop heat.

A 500k€ (10 years ago) C206T for instance. I’d rather have an old 22 G2 TKS with 15?/30?/60? minutes of run time vs. only prop de-ice in some other plane.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes, TKS costs much more than avgas, per litre.

The TB20 will use up the ~35L tank in ~1hr (actual measured) which at the standard TKS price of £5/litre is £175/hr which is way more than the fuel cost.

Administrator

FIKI SR22 is very capable with ice and has plenty of power in front (I can only compare to DA42 with TKS) but I doubt anyone would ever fly one until they empty the reservoir?

They gotta a be a muppet not to find a way out after 20min? a simple change of level or heading should sort one out (unless you are in clutches of London TC, you need tell bye-bye), also on rental, you are looking for 900€/h (30L*15€ for TKS & 450€/h for rental), that’s a bloody expensive trip…

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Feb 17:11

You really don’t like the SR22, do you?

That’s garbage, sorry. I just have known a number of owners, and the last one told me the stuff lasts about 15 mins on max flow. Sounds like he doesn’t know his aircraft; it is 37 mins, officially.

And since 37 mins is “a lot less … than 1hr” it turns out I was totally right.

The whole Cirrus thing is such an explosive topic… all over social media. All over their own social media, too. And all over FB. And all over EuroGA in years past, with some owners chucking all their toys out and leaving (the Cirrus v. Mooney thread). Like a bomb waiting to go off. It’s crazy.

Administrator

The wing etc TKS is also extremely effective. The gotcha is you get ~1hr (a lot less on an SR22 going on full flow) which means it can’t be used for long enroute sections.

You really don’t like the SR22, do you?

;)

Last Edited by Snoopy at 15 Feb 16:22
always learning
LO__, Austria

RobertL18C wrote:

A well rigged C182 will deliver close to 150KTAS on 12 USGPH at FL090 which I always find remarkable given the draggy airframe.

Indeed, it’s even more impressive on canards as they stall 35kts and cruise 145kts at 8kft with +1000lbs UL, do you know one for sale?

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Feb 14:39

Not quite 10k in the C182 but know the type reasonably well. The Lycoming version while quieter, the lower RPM three blade makes them somewhat prone to propeller ice, so agree propeller anti ice would be a worthwhile option.

A well rigged C182 will deliver close to 150KTAS on 12 USGPH at FL090 which I always find remarkable given the draggy airframe.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
79 Posts
Sign in to add your message