Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Ferry trip to Hungary

Ah – Geschichten von dem Wienerwald was always my favourite in all the glorious Strauss repertoire – sweet memories

There is also a quite famous theater play titled “Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald” by Ödon von Horvath – an intelligent and bitter piece of art showing the hypocrisy and vulgarity sometimes hidden beneath the stereotypically charming Viennese character …

But back to topic .

I know my position is a-typical, but the Austrian airspace is so unwelcoming that I have given up thinking of entering it

Okay, I am biased, but I think the Austrian airspace structure is actually quite easy. Only the LOWW CTR is a PITA, but you can always circumvent it to the North or (in reasonably fair weather) to the South, and if you run out of alternatives, you should also be able to cross it.

Last Edited by blueline at 27 Oct 19:14
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

PS LHKV is a place of memory, too: it is where I bought my bird.

Really Jan!!! We should meet up once @ EBST I saw that plane a couple of years ago in the hangar of Cirrus Hungary. Kaposvar is my second home town..

Last Edited by Vref at 27 Oct 19:34
EBST

I tried to drag & drop them here

Please see Posting Tips.

You need the link to the image (.jpg etc) not a link to a website page containing an image(s).

If you want to do the drag/drop (preferred) then you need to save the image to a PC and drag/drop it from Windows Explorer (or a similar too); it cannot be drag/dropped from a browser because a browser (the ones I know) does not support exporting of objects in that way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, EBST is not really that far from my homefield – as you have surely seen… Would be a good reason to drop in, up till now the place didn’t look particularly attractive to me. Only I am very busy over the upcoming weeks, perhaps even well into January. What little time I can spend at the airfield should really go into maintenance, too.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

till now the place didn’t look particularly attractive to me

Your missing out of the excellent local Belgian beer (Bink) they serve in the (sunset) bar , but then your not flying home anymore…
EBST has a ULM grass RWY since a year or two

EBST

Why fitting an .833 Khz radio is 25-50% of the value of a 172M? On the UK register all new COMMs which are fitted, have to be .833 Khz compliant, and AFAIK you can achieve this for around £2k? I hope reasonably maintained 172M are worth more than £4~8K

Sounds like a nice trip, hopefully you will post a trip report once you complete it. A 172M one up, full fuel, can reach FL120 reasonably easily and is a pleasant IFR cruiser, albeit at 105 knots TAS. A few months ago flew one from Southend to Coventry on airways – cleared to FL100 and basically was RV most of the way. Was climbing at 400 fpm at FL100.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Why fitting an .833 Khz radio is 25-50% of the value of a 172M?

If you’re just fitting a plain COM (Dittel or whatever), the price tag is lower. But I suppose Achimha had the most practicable solution for an IFR aircraft in mind (used 430/430W), and then you arrive at such a percentage. You cannot sell an older C172, except if in extremely good condition, for more than 35.000 to 40.000 Euros these days.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Changing a KX155 to a GNC255A is possible for around 4 to 5000 euro if you do only the com part it can be done for less

EBST

Changing a KX155 to a GNC255A is possible for around 4 to 5000 euro if you do only the com part it can be done for less

Hence my comment about 25% of the aircraft value. You don’t get more for a C172M these days… For VFR, we have time until 2018 and cheaper options might become available by then.

PS: When I bought my aircraft it has original 1979 avionics from Collins. The VHF only had 720 channels (i.e. missing the 136.xxx parts). The owner then fitted an external VHF antenna onto the belly and bought a handheld VHF which he used if one of the extra channels was required. A cheap solution to a rare problem

Thank you everybody for your kind advice, much appreciated. The aircraft is not 8.33kHz equipped so it looks like the trip will take place VFR. Too bad because weather will be very limiting that time year. The owner might decide to equip it 8.33kHz anyway since it will become mandatory anyway, also for VFR. About the autopilot requirement: is a PPL pilot with an RT certificate qualified for IFR communication? About the GPS, I don’t think the Garmin Aera 500 is certified for IFR use so that would be a no-go as well.

Sign in to add your message