Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Ferry trip to Hungary

is a PPL pilot with an RT certificate qualified for IFR communication?

Depends on the kind of radio operator certificate he/she has.

Yes he/she is. There is just one FRTOL in the UK. There are 3 in Germany/Austria hence the question.

United Kingdom

May have been posted before but this pair flew a Super Cub from Oregon to Kenya

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flying4Conservation-2013/540595229333779

…80 knots is typically a good block speed for the PA18 type – more HP is a bit like the Jet Provost – constant thrust variable noise.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 28 Oct 21:32
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

There’s a story on the web Link of somebody crossing the Atlantic from the US to Botswana in a C150. The GS to the Azores was an eye-watering 95 kts. That’s as much ferry flying as it gets

Last Edited by blueline at 28 Oct 21:06
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

All you need is one day with good weather, this is not a complex trip… when I read “ferry trip” I expect something like London to Johannesburg or San Francisco to Paris. It’s just a nice flight with a VFR aircraft.

is a PPL pilot with an RT certificate qualified for IFR communication?

Depends on the kind of radio operator certificate he/she has.

But quite obviously, without an IFR certified GPS (which per definition has to be built-in, not portable) there is no practicable way of doing this flight under IFR.

Thank you everybody for your kind advice, much appreciated. The aircraft is not 8.33kHz equipped so it looks like the trip will take place VFR. Too bad because weather will be very limiting that time year. The owner might decide to equip it 8.33kHz anyway since it will become mandatory anyway, also for VFR. About the autopilot requirement: is a PPL pilot with an RT certificate qualified for IFR communication? About the GPS, I don’t think the Garmin Aera 500 is certified for IFR use so that would be a no-go as well.

Changing a KX155 to a GNC255A is possible for around 4 to 5000 euro if you do only the com part it can be done for less

Hence my comment about 25% of the aircraft value. You don’t get more for a C172M these days… For VFR, we have time until 2018 and cheaper options might become available by then.

PS: When I bought my aircraft it has original 1979 avionics from Collins. The VHF only had 720 channels (i.e. missing the 136.xxx parts). The owner then fitted an external VHF antenna onto the belly and bought a handheld VHF which he used if one of the extra channels was required. A cheap solution to a rare problem

Changing a KX155 to a GNC255A is possible for around 4 to 5000 euro if you do only the com part it can be done for less

EBST

Why fitting an .833 Khz radio is 25-50% of the value of a 172M?

If you’re just fitting a plain COM (Dittel or whatever), the price tag is lower. But I suppose Achimha had the most practicable solution for an IFR aircraft in mind (used 430/430W), and then you arrive at such a percentage. You cannot sell an older C172, except if in extremely good condition, for more than 35.000 to 40.000 Euros these days.

Why fitting an .833 Khz radio is 25-50% of the value of a 172M? On the UK register all new COMMs which are fitted, have to be .833 Khz compliant, and AFAIK you can achieve this for around £2k? I hope reasonably maintained 172M are worth more than £4~8K

Sounds like a nice trip, hopefully you will post a trip report once you complete it. A 172M one up, full fuel, can reach FL120 reasonably easily and is a pleasant IFR cruiser, albeit at 105 knots TAS. A few months ago flew one from Southend to Coventry on airways – cleared to FL100 and basically was RV most of the way. Was climbing at 400 fpm at FL100.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message