Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to VFR transition and landing at VFR airport in Europe

@muelli – I called EDFZ this morning by phone and yes low approaches without landing are subject to fee and the proceeding is sanctioned by the regulatory authority (Luftamt Rheinland-Pfalz in Hahn EDFH). They have published it in their “Entgeldordnung” at the airport. The internet landing fee page is not the complete version, and we talked about adding it. However there is one exception that local flight schools doing PPL training at the field don’t pay for go arounds.
Maybe the reason for the fee is the limited number of movements allowed per year ( i.e. 23500 ) due to noise abatement mediated by “green neighbours” – which means round about one landing per week for each club member …

Last Edited by nobbi at 14 Jan 09:56
EDxx, Germany

I’ll let my lawyer figure that out My normal human sense tells me that I don’t have to pay landing fee if I don’t land.

EDXQ

… you can be sure that I won’t pay that at all.

I’m not so sure. The fees that every german airport charges are published in the AIP (and on the internet in some cases) and by using their services, you accept their fees.

EDDS - Stuttgart

DFS charge a Terminal Navigation Fee. I assume only one if you stay in the Terminal Area doing multiple aproaces.

EGTK Oxford

DFS (German ATC) charges in-/outbound fees from bigger airports, e.g. Bremen, no matter whether VFR or IFR. That’s an ATC service fee. No problem with that.

Unless they’ve changed it recently, DFS charges only a departure fee, so no DFS charge for multiple approaches.

Yeah, the police service fee made me laugh too. Evidently the finance team has a sense of humour. Almost worth the £4.70+VAT or whatever they charged :)

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

Rich, I agree that just paying is the easiest way as long as the charge is not that high. But we came from doing a cloud breaking approach in Frankfurt and if Frankfurt airport would charge me a 1K EUR landing fee (or whatever they name it) for a cloud breaking approach with a missed approach and divert to another aerodrome, you can be sure that I won’t pay that at all.

P.S. “police service fee” for a low approach? LOL

Last Edited by Muelli at 13 Jan 20:01
EDXQ

When doing my IR training, Bristol charged me, for one ILS approach and go around, a navigation charge, a runway fee, and a police services fee. Total around £70. Despite not setting one wheel on their hallowed tarmac. Lawyer? It would cost less just to pay.

I have it on the highest authority (email from Andrew Haines, head of CAA) that IR training outside the UK is acceptable, as long as it’s in the training manual. However, you try getting it approved in the training manual! This is one example of how the unreconstructed shop-floor CAA folk can pay lip service to the new-fangled ideas of their bosses, but prevent any change actually occurring.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

I see. But same here, case for a lawyer. Moreover, there is no service for this charge, no facility, no ATC, only air.

EDXQ

Still, I’m not convinced that Mainz charges fees for low approaches. Please provide some proof.

@muelli … the EDFZ internet site doesn’t seem to be up to date. I’m gonna inquire about a written info on the low app fee. But if you look into eddh.de pilot’s reports you find a Michael Laub complaining about that on 2011-07-27
see http://www.eddh.de/info/lande_pireps.php?pi_icao=EDFZ

EDxx, Germany
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message