Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Innsbruck (LOWI) from Munchen

A little late, but here are some pictures of the Innsbruck East approach.

EDLE, Netherlands

In my Post I made a mistake. It shouldn' t read 4.500 ft for lowest BRENNERO passing. We flew this week-end in 4.600 ft and we could look in the windows of the Lorry drivers. So 4.500 ft would be the height of the road concrete or below. So please make it 4.900 ft or higher.

Beautiful pics, thank you. I may fly to Sweden this August or September. Makes me look forward even more :-) ...

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Fortunetely, the weather was very calm. Regardless the fact that it was hot and many cumulus clouds had developed, there was no turbulence at all (at 4500 ft). And with approach it was exactly as Goose described. I have to arrange all photos from my trip (Innsbruck is fourth location I have visited and I haven't still posted photos for previous 2). I'll be back with photos very shortly :)

BTW some shots of Kalmar, Sweden (ESMQ) done by my wife. Also, very beatifull city!

And soth-west part of Sweden, approaching Copenhagen.

EVCA

Thank you for the sound advice. I have to say I have never flown over the Brenner Pass. Due to my more easterly location I usually route to Italy through the Kanaltal (Val Canale) - which is also very scenic, by the way.

You are flying traffic watch through 3 different countries? That sounds interesting, who is the client? I thought these are only local radio stations.

I am flying every weekend for 5-10 hours highway patrol in a C172 up from Munich to Sterzing (behind Brennero) and back. We only had once this year a FOEHN condition which was distressing. LOWI Tower announced winds with up to 70 - 100 km/h in advance. They advised us to fly close to the northern side of the valley until reaching INN. After passing SIERRA (Europabrücke) and having climbed to 5.500 ft we couldn´t make any higher being close to a stall with a 200 HP engine. Reaching BRENNERO we decided not to pass the small valley and turn back.

Normal procedure is 3.500ft at MIKE1, then MIKE2, MIKE3, following the Highway. With reaching Mike3 or before you get the permission to climb to 5.500 ft or 7.500 ft inbound SIERRA and further to BRENNERO.

My advice is to pass BRENNERO not below 4.500 ft, and cloud base should not be below 6.500 ft for first-timers.

If low-passing BRENNERO fly close to the right mountain side (depending on the downwind strength), landing-light ON, you might have opposing traffic. Good airmanship is to make a radio call-out before passing "D-ECHO will pass BRENNERO in 4.500".

you should definitely visit LOWZ once

If you do it in July/August, make sure to learn Arabic before you go!

But I agree, LOWZ is one of my favorite destinations. Less than an hour of flight but one of the nicest spots in the Alps. The owner family of Volkswagen/Porsche lives there and also built the airfield. They know why they chose this place.

PS: No mountain flying skills required for LOWZ, just make sure you understand density altitude. You can reach it through the valleys, just follow the Inn river and then the railroad track.

Keep the pictures coming :-) !

If you have taken a liking to this region, you should definitely visit LOWZ once. With the lake nearby and the glacier above i'ts, in my opinion, definitely one of the most scenic airfields in this part of Europe.

I'd love to see more pictures of the flight. Your route is in my 'neck of the woods', I was there twice in June, but I have never flown in the area (my flying is in the US)

Glad it went well! :-)

I do like! :-)

LOWI is a beautiful airport surrounded by impressive scenery.

LECU - Madrid, Spain
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message