Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CRI and instructing at night

Balliol wrote:

No. The privileges of a CRI are to instruct for:

By the same reasoning, a SEP CRI may not perform differences training on SEPs — but nothing would prevents him/her for instructing for the issue of a SEP rating on a retractable, turbo, constant-speed prop, EFIS aircraft. That would be totally perverse.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If both CRI and PPL have valid night ratings then why shouldn’t the type rating training take place at night? PPL doesn’t need training in night flying as they are already trained.

Airborne_Again wrote:

By the same reasoning, a SEP CRI may not perform differences training on SEPs — but nothing would prevents him/her for instructing for the issue of a SEP rating on a retractable, turbo, constant-speed prop, EFIS aircraft. That would be totally perverse.

I understood that a CRI can instruct differences training within a type or class they hold themselves.

Can they not also give training for the issue, revalidation or renewal of a type or class that they hold themselves?

Last Edited by S57 at 28 Nov 23:56
S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom

S57 wrote:

I understood that a CRI can instruct differences training within a type or class they hold themselves.
Yes, that is my understanding too. I was arguing against Balliol’s very strict interpretation of the privileges of a CRI.

Can they not also give training for the issue, revalidation or renewal of a type or class that they hold themselves?

Not automatically. CRI/TRIs are initially restricted to instructing on the class or type on which they took their CRI/TRI checkride. With additional experience and/or training, they may instruct for additional classes/types.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

S57 wrote:

FCL.905.CRI (b)
They need to have within the last 12 months at least 15 hours PIC on the class or type and do one training flight from the right seat under supervision of another CRI or FI.

ELLX

I would say yes. For example you could do the biannual training flight at night if both have their night rating. Sorry @Balliol but with your reasoning a CRI can not fly during the day either because it does not clearly state day either.

ESSZ, Sweden

It maybe ATO dependant on this interpretation, some ATOs agree ok to instruct at night if student is licensed with a night rating. My inclination is that night flying is additional risk so stick to daytime.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

It doesn’t need to state day – Exercise 1-18 are within class rating scope and hence part of CRI privileges, Ex20 Night Flying is not. Just the same
as Ex19 isn’t and a CRI cannot teach instrument flying.

It baffles me how people can think someone with no training for, or demonstration of competence in, is a good person to train night flying?

Last Edited by Balliol at 29 Nov 11:16
Now retired from forums best wishes

Don’t disagree with that premise but isn’t the point they are not teaching night flying as both crew members are already quality.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Balliol wrote:

It baffles me how people can think someone with no training for, or demonstration of competence in, is a good person to train night flying?

I think the question is not about CRI+PPL+Night teaching night flying to someone PPL with no night, I think the question assumes that the pilot in hand has PPL+Night (so not a “night student”: he is someone who can fly at night already without a CRI = does not need night instruction = has Ex20 signed already by an FI)

A more simpler question: say I am a PPL+Night, can I do an Arrow VP & RG difference training with a CRI+PPL+Night at night? seems the simple answer is: Yes

(someone could argue that the dimming lights of the gear indicator is something worth to cover live )

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Nov 12:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Or transition someone from a certain type to the same type with glass.

Sign in to add your message