Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instrument approaches not authorised at night?

Does Europe have any?

Just been reading this, from the USA. A ferry flight from Europe by the looks of it. The pilot probably descended well below the MDA…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does Europe have any?

Yes.
LFBS RNAV RWY 27

LPFL – L RW 36

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Interesting that the latest chart for this airport does not have the note NA at night. Also the MDA is 960 feet only for WAAS equipped aircraft capable of flying the LP line of minimums. Not all WAAS GPS systems are capable of doing this and in some cases of older software versions, this particular approach is excluded from the database because of obstacles in the visual segment. As it stands today, GNS430W systems with the latest software version will not see an advisory glidepath on this procedure.

Edit, the MDA for a non WAAS GPS or one that is incapable of LP procedures is 1140 feet (657 MDH), not the 960 reported in the preliminary report.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 01 Jul 12:57
KUZA, United States

Dave_Phillips wrote:

LPFL – L RW 36

I can’t actually see a night prohibition in the AIP — even though personally I’d want it to be CAVOK by day before I went anywhere near a 3100 ft rock with a runway on the side!

Figari LFKI – RNAV (GNSS) RWY 23 and 05 both prohibited at night. Also the ILS is not authorised outside of the operating hours of the lights on the surrounding mountains.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

bookworm wrote:

to

bookworm wrote:

I can’t actually see a night prohibition in the AIP — even though personally I’d want it to be CAVOK by day before I went anywhere near a 3100 ft rock with a runway on the side!

No lights (yet). The 36 approach is a bit of a puppy whereas 18 is a ring twitcher, even though it is visual!!

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message