Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance companies, premiums, exclusions, etc

The limitation is still current. I have asked how much extra it would be to cover a flight to Sarajevo.

I would be going IFR but in VFR terms there is still a lot of NATO restricted airspace over the area, on the charts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For Bosnia it’s pure insurance BS. I fly regulary to Sarajevo and it’s first time I’ve heard some insurer excludes Bosnia. The war has ended 20 years ago and there’s absolutely no reason for special policy for Bosnia. There’s PPR for Sarajevo and Mostar (I’m not sure for the other airports); just send an e-mail 24 hours in advance and you’ll get immediate confirmation. If you need any asistance just let me know.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My insurance says “Europe and neighboring countries bordering the med”. Whenever I wanted to go elsewhere, they agreed immediately. That coverage area includes Libya and Syria b.t.w

Hull insurance cover

I wonder how many people pay for this, and how much of the premium is accounted for by the hull cover?

I pay GBP 2.8k for my insurance and that is for a 195k hull cover (agreed value). I think about 1k of that is the hull.

On the basis that insurance companies do not lose money, one should never insure anything that one can afford to replace.

Administrator

2.500€ for 250.000€ hull cover. In addition, I pay 2.300€ for mandatory insurance (covering 3 mil SDR per event and 250k SDR per pasanger). It seems that you pay much less than I do.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I wonder how many people pay for this

I cover hull only for hangar storage and during taxi. It seems to me that’s when the damage occurs, it saves money every year, and if there’s an in-flight mishap I’ll have more important things to worry about.

(my total US insurance cost for two planes is $1100 USD/year but its a different market, with I understand much lower liability requirement)

On the basis that insurance companies do not lose money, one should never insure anything that one can afford to replace.

And on the basis that I don’t like doing business with insurance companies all that much I pay cash for my vehicles and planes, and don’t buy any that I couldn’t afford to lose.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jan 17:01

My broker offers such a “damage on the ground” coverage as an addition, costing nearly as much as the basic legal “third party damage” plus “liability for passenger”. I haven’t subscribed to it, as yet, but if I ever put the bird up in a mini-syndicate ( as I feel compelled to, given the limited usage she sees ) this will be the least of things to add.

Edited to add the exact amounts as requested: legal minimum 550 €, “damage on the ground” 423,69 € ; and these are special rates for a group arrangement through my national ultralight federation.

Last Edited by at 28 Jan 17:14
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

when the damage occurs and if there’s an in-flight mishap I’ll have more important things to worry about

I concur – except for ditching, or a forced landing on rough ground.

Administrator

Commercial aircraft are insured on dramatically lower hull premium as a % of value. It would be interesting to know which is the more profitable business for insurers. I suspect commercial as loss rates are very, very low.

EGTK Oxford

I pay € 3600 for an (agreed) value of € 225.000, and about € 1500 of that is the basic insurance. I will also pay € 5000 myself if I make a crash landing or a prop strike ..

Sign in to add your message