Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the EU Dead

The EU is not in the least dead. The weekend before last I did a trip from Germany to Italy and back by train and car, thereby crossing Switzerland and Austria. No border police, no passport control, no customs officers in sight. Not on the road and not in the train. Did a flight to Italy last week. The IDs of the passengers were checked in Italy, but not those of the pilots.

Peter wrote:

An N-reg pilot must carry a passport at all times anyway

Since the EASA license (as well as the JAR-FCL and EU-FCL ones before) does not have a photo on it, it is only valid if accompanied by some ID with a photo (identity card, passport or recognised crew ID card). So wherever you are supposed to show your license – which is at most airports / aerodromes with security checks – an ID must also be carried.

EDDS - Stuttgart

LeSving wrote:

C210_Flyer wrote:
Well no mistake I was asked for my passport
Maybe it would help reading some news? Even once a month would help a lot for “surprises” like this

I watch the TV news in Hungary and I suppose they only concern themselves with what goes on with the Hungarian beurocracy torturing its own citizens.There areway to many countries to follow to know everything.

But just in case, in the US the judicial system proclaims “ignorance of the Law is no excuse for breaking the Law”. So your statement would fit in very well with the US Judicial mentality.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

in the US the judicial system proclaims “ignorance of the Law is no excuse for breaking the Law”

As far as I know, this juridical principle is universal.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Schengen is about immigration, Customs Union is about customs

That’s correct but here in the UK, IME, it is the standard 2 or 3 police officers who turn up, out of a team of 10-20, no matter what the purpose is.

And I have never seen anything to the contrary anywhere else I have been.

I think the basic point is that one is not likely to be using light GA to bring in 10,000 fags, 10,000 beer bottles, etc. People do that in rented Ford Transit vans (and I have done that in the 1980s, with a bunch of others, Newhaven to Dieppe; what a waste of a life) but not planes. The police may be recruiting from a fairly well defined character profile but they are far from stupid. Speed cameras come out on sunny days…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

C210_Flyer wrote:
in the US the judicial system proclaims “ignorance of the Law is no excuse for breaking the Law”
As far as I know, this juridical principle is universal.

Geez and I thought only the US govt and Judicial branch was morally bankrupt. And now I learn the all of the worlds govts are the same.
What a way to start the new year.

Hey just trying to think on a higher plain, if we are all suppose to be scholars in law why do we need lawyers?

KHTO, LHTL

So they can have lunch at our expense.

LFPT, LFPN

Are you maybe exaggerating a bit? ;-)

NOTHING happened, in case you have not realized yet. The whole thing is a non-event. You were asked if you brought some (more than 300) cigarettes from Hungary. All that was required from you was to say “no”. Big deal, huh?

I have to admit that all that frenzy about changes also got to me. Remember when I falsely believed autorouter were avoiding France due to some new rules? All that panic causing rule changes here and there can make you end up being quite confused. I still don’t understand why Colmar LFGA requires a flight plan for every flight now – just one example.

Yes, we should all calm down a bit more. I fully agree.

Frequent travels around Europe

The fence was no big deal for Hungary. The Austrians accused them of being anti EU in spiirt. Now who is putting up a fence? Austria. Well welcome to the club.

Since LeSving wrote that I should keep up with German or EU tail chasing by reading the paper once in awhile. My retort would be who can keep up with all the nonsense?

Yes Alexis it was no big deal, but, if the Hungarians decided to do the same it would be a very big deal as I had posted. Just leaving the Schengen zone from Hungary is a PITA. That is why I wont fly to Romania. Croatia is only 1/2 a PITA since it only requires 2 extra stops (1 inbound and 1 outbound) to an airport serviced by on site Customs.

Now the next question is going forward can I fly to an airport from Hungary that does not have Customs on site or will I have to land at a Customs airport?

If it is not mandatory to land at a Customs airport then I agree it will not be a big deal. But can anyone here make the claim that this highly charged and fluid politically driven exercise will not end by requiring GA to land at a Customs supported facility?

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

The fence was no big deal for Hungary. The Austrians accused them of being anti EU in spiirt. Now who is putting up a fence? Austria. Well welcome to the club.

Spot on. The insults of the Austrian chancellor should not be mistaken for the opinion of the Austrian people, however, who in their clear majority sided with the Hungarians on this subject.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
Sign in to add your message