Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this top overhaul really needed?

Watch this video in its entirety

The amount of metal (little aluminium flakes) in the oil filter is miniscule. It is also way below Lycoming guidelines) on this topic.

I think this is utter BS.

Especially as there is no mention of oil analysis, let alone any history of such. This guy (an ex BBC reporter trying to make money from Youtube videos, and sponsorship) is going to spend ~10k now and he has not even been doing oil analysis at 20 quid a service.

There has been corrosion in the cylinder bore bases, certainly historical as he seems to have done 100hrs in a year, but this is common. I had the same (actually much worse and believed to be due to Socata improperly storing a whole load of engines and then, in the opinion of one of their distributors, mis-stating the various dates in the engine logbooks) and this is below the piston ring travel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought the same when I watched it.

But then it is youtube, and you will never know what the truth is. After all, he wants to make a story. Maybe there were bigger flakes which just didn‘t make it into the video. Let‘s wait and see what the next episode brings…

What is is remarkable is that he got himself a Turbo Arrow, but for what we know, he has bever taken it higher than 8000 feet or so, and hasn‘t been beyond Scotland or Northern France in it. A non-Turbo would have given him the same performance, for less fuel and possibly less cylinder trouble…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Maybe there were bigger flakes which just didn‘t make it into the video

That would totally degrade the whole channel, to the level of farce.

he has never taken it higher than 8000 feet or so, and hasn‘t been beyond Scotland or Northern France in it

I can’t remember – don’t really watch flying videos, especially promotional ones – but I don’t think he has an IR, and without an IR, a turbo is useless unless you are a pretty smart “VFR” hacker and know how to game the Swiss ATC around the Alps In the UK, Class A almost everywhere, the only place where high altitude VFR is viable for going somewhere is from one side of Scotland to … the other side of Scotland.

Administrator

Does he fly 50F ROP? Perhaps time to find a cylinder sponsor?

always learning
LO__, Austria

The metal found is probably 1/10 to 1/100 of Lycoming guidelines, and is pretty normal to see here and there.

Also the cylinder bore losing the crosshatch is normal after hundreds of hours. This isn’t “glazing” which is a different thing entirely.

I am surprised that a presumably reputable maintenance company would be a party to this video.

Administrator

Did the video actually say the metal flakes found originated from the cylinders

Mug.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

I agree the video did make those two engineers look quite clueless on engine maintenance.

Update:

As I assumed, the first video didn‘t tell the full story. Part of his cocept, I guess. What he probably hadn‘t realized is how bad the first video made this shop that he was trying to promote look. Hence the hasty update video, I guess.

Forgot to say though: what is very likely true though is that this is covid-related. This is particularly bad with UK aircraft where people could‘t fly for a long time and then only could do ground runs. This is addition to the fact that the climate is conducive to corrosion in the UK, and that many aircraft don’t fly in winter anyway. One more reason not to buy used aircraft from the UK.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Oct 14:45

Unbelievable!

But still no useful info. Why make such videos. Conti engines have a famously low “minimum compression” (~40/80 for some models) which many people are concerned about. This – one thread – seems to be due to a “reduced manufacturing QA” but which doesn’t affect the power output because the gas cannot escape through the gap anywhere near fast enough.

Maybe the plane was a hangar queen for years. Many are… which is why they get sold Job #1. Check flying logs, and compare to FR24 and google. No plane spotter pics? Go figure…

One more reason not to buy used aircraft from the UK.

If you just kick the tyres and hand over the money (as many do) then I agree No prebuy… But same applies to most of Europe. Any place with a coast (corrosion) and bear in mind N German/French wx is same as UK wx. Any place where people tend to have too little money to look after stuff (most of S Europe). Leaves you with, what exactly? Zermatt

According to posts here, a lot of GA in the “further north” of Europe disappears in hangars for a few months each winter.

Actually in the UK it varies, the certified lot, schools and groups, tends to fly through the winter but obviously at a lower frequency. You probably get a higher hangar queen %. The Annex 1 community tends to just vanish for months; most are “fun planes” for people to play with on nice days, like an original Porsche 911, and they are mostly based on strips which are completely unusable during the winter.

Administrator
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message