Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jetliners cruising at FL180

I flew Iberia from Brussels to Madrid a couple of weeks go as a passenger. There were strikes in ATC over half France. Rather then deviating around the affected FIRs, the A320 stayed at FL180, lengthening our flying time and putting us in the worst turbulence I ever experienced.
So no: the teen levels are not always empty!

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Niner_Mike wrote:

Rather then deviating around the affected FIRs, the A320 stayed at FL180, lengthening our flying time…

Maybe flying around the affected FIRs would have lenghtened the flying time even more and put you in even more turbulence? The last three weeks had some nasty turbulence in almost all levels.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes, makes sense

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

I once flew Gatwick to Brussels, A320 or some such, FL190.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

once flew Gatwick to Brussels, A320 or some such, FL190.

I can top that: I once flew from Liege to Maastricht at 3000ft (also in a jet) But it was only a four mintute flight. Given that your flight lasted at least five times as long, climbing to FL190 seems unproportionately high

But kidding apart, those levels are typical for short flights. From my homebase to Munich, Zürich, Strasbourg or Frankfurt is about the same distance and often FL150 is all we can get.

EDDS - Stuttgart

…does White Plains to Pittsburgh in a GV at 3,000’ VFR and back sound OTT? Not sure what the fuel flow in lbs/hour was but the view was great.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I understand that some Guppy flights are limited to FL100. Does anyone know why?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Flying unpressurized …

EDxx, Germany

…sure, but why?

EGKB Biggin Hill

…perhaps the fuselage is not pressurised? Am guessing the bleed air required to pressurise the Beluga might limit the service ceiling to FL100 in any event.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message