Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kassel (EDVK) to Avignon (LFMV) and then on to Sabadell (LELL)

Yes. :-) That old stuff suddenly became important. It had crossed my mind … Without the loss of the fuel totalizer and the mental distraction due to the red warning on the screen I would probably gone for something like that. After all EDVK has the WRB VOR next to it and vectors to final would have gotten me to the localizer anyway.

You are right. Practicing the non-GPS ways of IFR navigation makes a lot of sense.

But then look at the US situation. Apparently there VORs and ILSs are being removed in favor of GPS and LPV. The whole R9 is designed for GPS and LPV. It even says so in the manual.

I do like the Cirrus simulator that is available in Poznan. I would plan on going there once a year, if I had bought a G1000/Perspective aircraft. Instead it is my plan to attend once a year one of the CPPPs where some of US CISPs with intimate R9 knowledge come over. It’s a cheap way to get recurrent training (10 hours ground + 4 hours flight) about everything from engine to partial panel flying in TAA.

Frequent travels around Europe

I have started the R9 specific discussion here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congrats for making the only right decision with the additional landing at EDGS. I especially like the conclusion you draw, that you had all options available for only the price of an additional hour. Unfortunately there come reports to mind where the wrong decisions were made with fatal outcome. If there’s doubt, there is no doubt – well done!

EDLE

How about practicing some VOR radial intercepts until you get the fix? :-)

The older Avidyne doesn’t have GPS of its own. It uses the Garmin GNS430s for all that. Different implementation …

Yes, of course, stupid question. 430s are, obviously, not affected. We would have heard about that one …

Flyer59 wrote:

By the way: Is that ONLY an R9 problem? I reda about it on COPA … but I wonder why it would not affect the Avidyne Entegra (8.01 in my case)

The older Avidyne doesn’t have GPS of its own. It uses the Garmin GNS430s for all that. Different implementation …

achimha wrote:

I would think that your report has the chance of resulting in an AD that would ground all R9 airplanes, rightfully so.

The fix for this is available and in the hands of the FAA. Avidyne published on their own forum a status update and they expect a release sometime later this summer. Somewhere August was mentioned.

And to add that… As a software guy I really dislike the paperwork heavy certification process that prevents important fixes to be released to customers. I rather prefer a software patch with maybe another level of uncertainty than to have to live with such a defect for a very long time. There is much to improve in the rules for software development in aviation. I don’t have any first-hand experience in that world of software development yet, but I certainly would love an opportunity to maybe help improve it… At least I now do understand first-hand the importance for improvement

Peter wrote:

The curious thing is why this doesn’t happen in the USA too. The GPS satellites go all round the earth. Unless this is really an EGNOS issue only.

All information always mentions the “EGNOS problem”. I would assume, like Achim said too, that over the US mainland there is less coverage, so the issue has not been detected. Some say that there wasn’t any flight testing done in Europe only in the US. That might explain it.

I’m happy to learn that this and also the one that prompted an AD forbidding some GPS approaches has been fixed. Now I’m eager to get the fix and have it solved for real. The user interface and lack of button pushing still makes it the better designed product. Unfortunately at the very end there is the difference between working and not working … I guess hope dies last.

Frequent travels around Europe

I believe there is much less Galileo and Glonass coverage over the US mainland.

I would think that your report has the chance of resulting in an AD that would ground all R9 airplanes, rightfully so. That’s not a small mistake, imagine it happens in a very difficult situation like RNAV SID departure from a Norwegian canyon airport in solid IMC.

The curious thing is why this doesn’t happen in the USA too. The GPS satellites go all round the earth. Unless this is really an EGNOS issue only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@achimha
On a “Norwegian Canyon SID” you probably never have the problem of too many satellites visible (;-))

Very well done. I would have done the same – although 23 Gallons for 35 minutes of flight is plenty of fuel. But it’s different to write that here and to look at the “8 Gallons” annunciation up there and become more insecure minute by minute …

By the way: Is that ONLY an R9 problem? I reda about it on COPA … but I wonder why it would not affect the Avidyne Entegra (8.01 in my case)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 13 Jul 11:52
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message