Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

But this radio is then refurbished old tech. compared to the Garmin at same price.

However, the KX155A/165A radios are the very top quality radios out there. They may be old but they are the best.

There are many stories going around how much better these are than the radios inside the GNS boxes for example. I can’t vouch for that myself (have no Garmin stuff apart from a GTX330) but I have read many of these reports.

The refurb 165A I got looked absolutely like new. I would not worry about buying a rebuilt 165A.

When upgrading to a glass cockpit system, having ARINC429 will save you money, as it requires less wiring. It also enables newer functions to work. I don’t think it is a must, but it is an advantage to have ARINC429.

Sure – 429 is super compared to wiring up all the old signals, but I still can’t see the advantage to the owner unless he can actually feed the 429 data to “something”.

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Jan 22:45
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

However, the KX155A/165A radios are the very top quality radios out there. They may be old but they are the best.

They are good, a weak point however, both on KX155/KX165 and also on the new KX155A/KX165A is the display unit. Apart from that these are good radio’s. Garmin radio’s are good as well. I hardly see any problems caused by newer generation Bendix King and Garmin radios, apart from display issues on all of the Bendix King radio’s without LCD. The LCD’s seem to be better quality, but these radio seems to fail on other defects.

Most problems are with older radio’s such as KX-175 radio’s, ARC’s, Narco’s etc. These radio’s have often years of service, I couldn’t blame them from failing after years in a often harsh environment.

Sure – 429 is super compared to wiring up all the old signals, but I still can’t see the advantage to the owner unless he can actually feed the 429 data to “something”.

Agree,There is not direct advange when not connected to other 429 systems, being ready for the future is an advantage that can pay of in the future. When one expects to keep the aircraft for years to come, it is likely that more avionics upgrade will be done in the future, and it would be wise to be able to use the latest technologys.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

True about the displays… a small local avionics shop (which does more repairs than installs nowadays) does a lot of repairs of this old stuff, for owners who want to keep their 30 year old radios going for ever.

The displays are the main thing, apparently. However, my experience of 12 years with a plane full of King/Honeywell kit with those displays is that it is mostly OK. I have a decimal point on the remote DME readout going intermittent when it’s cold, and I think that’s about it. However I did have a spare KC225 autopilot computer which had a duff segment on all the digits, following a “fresh overhaul” by Honeywell – that’s another story; I got it swapped eventually, after kicking up a massive fuss.

I don’t know why King didn’t use alphanumeric LEDs… in the 1990s they weren’t that expensive, although I guess those gas discharge displays cost next to nothing which is vital when the radio sells for only a few k

That said, these old radios do go on “for ever” and can be fixed by the smallest wooden shed repairman. In comparison, the maintenance manuals for Garmin stuff are pretty bare, and near-impossible to find unless you are a dealer. The GNS430 MM (which has very recently escaped into the wild) is almost completely useless.

Administrator

True, most modern stuff is basically non repairable, just swapping large modules or if your lucky PCB’s according their manuals.
This is not only true for avionics, but also for starters and alternators which are so called maintenance free. My experiance is that they often are not. Older heavy weight stuff is generally better.

I think that most Bendix/King display issues are either moisture or temperature related. Aircraft that sleep outside seem to be much more sensitive to this problem.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

France has postponed 8.33 till 31 Dec 2014, below FL195

PDF

From LFFA notam:

The French action is very interesting though unsuprising because

(a) Virtually no existing GA-usable unit uses 8.33

(b) France (or anybody else) does not run the utterly stupid UK frequency tax which makes 8.33 frequencies cheaper than 25kHz ones (I believe this may result in many small airfields changing to 8.33, over time)

(c) 8.33 enforcement would make the “Mode S wars” (which have largely been lost, in N Europe, for anybody going places) look like child’s play – for most people who don’t have 8.33 already (via e.g. a GNS box) this is a substantial four-digit expense

(d) The DGAC has always looked after French GA

I wonder if the French doc says anything about needing one or two 8.33 radios. If they go for two (as German avionics shops have done, I believe, before they will issue the annual IFR certificate) then the expense will still be there because almost nobody has two GNS/GTN boxes.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Jan 11:13
Administrator

But Peter, it may have been delayed but it is clearly coming. I agree it will be expensive for people but it seems to be a question of when not if. Enforcement is more likely to be a practical problem of not being able to accept handover frequencies.

EGTK Oxford

Conséquence sur le nombre de VHF capables 8.33 kHz requis :
• Sauf lorsque l’emport de plus d’une VHF est requis, notamment par les règlements
relatifs à la navigabilité (ex : aéronefs certifiés CS 25) ou à l’exploitation des
aéronefs (ex : IFR en transport aérien commercial), la capacité 8.33 kHz d’une
seule VHF permet de répondre à l’exigence de compatibilité 8.33 kHz de
l’équipement radio d’aéronef.
• Dans le cas particulier des vols IFR en aviation générale, soumis à l’exigence
d’emport d’un équipement radio composé au minimum de deux VHF, la capacité
8.33 kHz d’une seule de ces VHF permet de répondre à l’exigence de compatibilité
8.33 kHz de l’équipement radio d’aéronef.

Freely translated, with NO claim to authority:

Except where carriage of multiple VHF’s is required, particularly by en-route requirements (example: planes certified under CS25 whatever that may mean) or by operational requirements (example: commercial air transport under IFR), the requirement for 8,33 KHz compatibility can be met by a single VHF being capable.

In the particular case of G/A flying under IFR, subject to the requirement of carrying at least two VHF’s, the requirement for 8,33 KHz compatibility can be met by a single VHF being capable.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks, good to know…will give a bit more time to make too look for the right solution
Unfortunately east bound it doesn’t work….(Germany, …)
I hope to get my bird operational soon however I haven’t taken a decision yet …
I have KLN90B with KX155 couples to a KCS55A and I am looking at installing finally the SN3500 to get GNSS roll steering…
8.33 Khz is may biggest priority now ….I may go for a GNC255 for NAV/COM1 and replace the KLN90B with a WAAS box later on…
the KLN90B is still B-RNAV and should I assume give me LNAV approach capability for Aerodromes which have even LPV like LFAV but with higher mini ma.

To come again on the ARINC429 GNC255 this would simplify the install and additionally the KLN90B has ARINC output for GPS (so the correct ARINC424 path and terminators are generated to fly the approach) in LNAV mode

There is nice movie on teh sn3500 btw here you can see how the turn anticipation well:“SN3500 in an A36”:

Last Edited by Vref at 06 Jan 13:03
EBST
Except where carriage of multiple VHF’s is required, particularly by en-route requirements (example: planes certified under CS25 whatever that may mean) or by operational requirements (example: commercial air transport under IFR), the requirement for 8,33 KHz compatibility can be met by a single VHF being capable.

In the particular case of G/A flying under IFR, subject to the requirement of carrying at least two VHF’s, the requirement for 8,33 KHz compatibility can be met by a single VHF being capable.

Super – many thanks!

CS25 is big aircraft – above something like 20 tons and/or multi pilot certified? I found this but can’t search the 600 pages in time I have

Unfortunately east bound it doesn’t work….(Germany, …)

Isn’t that only for D-regs? If you are G-reg N-reg etc you don’t need the annual IFR certificate.

I have KLN90B with KX155 couples to a KCS55A and I am looking at installing finally the SN3500 to get GNSS roll steering…
8.33 Khz is may biggest priority now ….I may go for a GNC255 for NAV/COM1 and replace the KLN90B with a WAAS box later on…

Those of us not willing or able to take our planes to an avionics shop (and the UK has so few good ones!) with a blank cheque on the seat, we are certainly at a difficult time for upgrades, because most of the options are rather unattractive. 8.33 is a particular waste of money, and PRNAV and LPV are not an issue currently.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Jan 12:54
Administrator

Isn’t that only for D-regs? If you are G-reg N-reg etc you don’t need the annual IFR certificate. I have KLN90B with KX155 couples to a KCS55A and I am looking at installing finally the SN3500 to get GNSS roll steering…

I thought this was linked to the airspace flying through…Germany, Hungary you need 8.33Khz below FL195 when IFR in class A,B, C…?

Last Edited by Vref at 06 Jan 13:07
EBST
Sign in to add your message