Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest v6.41 EASA Approved GTN Software (synthetic "ILS" feature)

I should add that there may well be as many airfields where this new feature won’t work as places where it might. Flying a 3-degree runway-heading cloudbreak on instruments into Glenswinton, or even Glenforsa for instance, would be to ignore safer and more useful alternatives.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

User interface is “visual approach xx” in approach menu, and an optional pop up button on map page for visual approach when a configurable distance from destination.

EGNS, Other

So, we think that this new feature will slow the roll-out of LPV to VFR airfields?

I confess that I may not have been paying attention, but is “roll-out” the right expression for LPV at U.K. VFR runways? I mean, to my mind, it implies progress which can be detected in less than a geological time-frame.

I’m inclined to reserve judgment on Garmin’s “VFR Approach” feature until I’ve tried it, but subject to the usual DIY-approach caveats (prior checking for obstacle clearance in VMC, etc.) it looks as if it might score near the top of the scale of 1 to 5 in Timothy’s 2013 “cloudbreak” paper.

So yes, if the relevant “VFR Approach” is reasonably safe, why would airfields like Welshpool or Kirkbride or Breighton, which are not so busy as to paper their office walls with pound notes… why would they splurge 50 to 500 grand on LPV?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

What is the user interface, in terms of config options?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

G1000Nxi on the DA62 also has the feature.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 06 Dec 20:39
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

G1000Nxi on the Kingair certainly has VFR Approach as it’s known – it’s also available on Rockwell Collins installations.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I wonder what the purpose of this feature is, if not for flying DIY approaches. Is it perhaps intended for easy flying of long continuous descents e.g. a 100nm descent at -200fpm?

At EGHH, I found GPS-ILS to be off-scale, when locked on the real ILS. I did have the altitude error compensation enabled. I guess the latter is a non-issue on an IFR GPS because they all have the geoid correction.

Someone told me the G1000 is going to get this feature too.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is the GS a straight line from FAF to MAP?

I believe that it is always 3ยบ, so probably knows nothing of either. FAF and MAP are IFR concepts and this is a VFR tool.Peter wrote:

I wonder if it will have the same issue which the GPS-ILS app has i.e. GS is likely nowhere near the GS of an ILS at the same airport

“Nowhere near” is an exaggeration in both cases. “Not precisely the same” would be a better characterisation.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Is the GS a straight line from FAF to MAP?

I wonder if it will have the same issue which the GPS-ILS app has i.e. the GS is likely nowhere near the GS of an ILS at the same airport. This might spook a few users.

Administrator

So, we think that this new feature will slow the roll-out of LPV to VFR airfields?

EGKB Biggin Hill
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message