Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Little Tricks

Yes; my luggage door key and the ignition key are on the same ring.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Michal wrote:

a simple one – do you have a pen attached to your kneeboard with a rope/string?

Use pencils as pens permanently mark interiors, pencils don’t.

EGTK Oxford

what_next wrote:

But please do so only with aircraft that need the same key for the ignition. (A colleague of ours used a similar “trick” but forgot the key in the baggage door earlier this year. The airstream ripped the little plastic tag off the key which went through the engine causing over 30.000 Euros of damage to the fan and stator blades. Plus one week of ground time for the aircraft. In every other company this guy would have been fired on the spot.)

In the Mustang I have one key on a lanyard around my neck. I never leave it in any lock. Also no baggage hatch or door is ever left closed but not secured. It is open or closed and secured. It is easy in the PA46 Mirage or Mustang to lower the baggage door but not secure it with a latch. At least in the Mustang you get a CAS message but not a good way to operate.

EGTK Oxford

Something many beginners are not told:

When switching tanks in a low wing airplane, switch it the first time after 30 minutes and then use 60 minute intervals. This way the plane will have a nicer balance because the difference between the two tanls is never more than the fuel you need for 30 minutes.

If flying solo, let the LH tank run down a certain amount, starting with the takeoff. And maintain that difference. Switch tanks to keep the aileron deflections equal. It makes the plane fly more straight because it enables flight with balanced ailerons and the ball in the middle. More MPG!

Obviously it needs the plane to be properly rigged first.

Administrator

what_next wrote:

How does it work: I leave my house key in the car, the car key in our hangar office, the hangar key in the aircraft and when I leave the aircraft, e.g. to go to the hotel, I only take the aircraft key with me

More or less like this

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

How to choose the tank to use at the beginning of th flight when both are full: use the tank the position of which corresponds to the minutes needle of your watch. When airborne you always know which tank you should be pumping from.
E.g. 14:45 left tank / 15:20 right tank
Works only if you change every 30min, though.

Last Edited by Alboule at 17 Nov 22:44
LFNR

Peter, for that one you need two fuel gauges that show pretty much the same…. would not work with mine, therefore i do 30-60-60 ….

Years and years ago we had a problem that someone was nicking mail and forms out of our pigeon holes at the airport I then flew from. Annoying because that meant bills, Jepp updates (paper ones), fuel receipts and other stuff disappeared.

Until one of us got the idea and put a loaded heavy duty mouse trap into one of the compartments.

The guy was caught “red handed” so to speak :)

Have used this trick twice in the mean time to stop nosy coworkers reading my mail :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

for that one you need two fuel gauges that show pretty much the same…. would not work with mine,

You mean an SR22 has useless fuel gauges? That’s somewhat surprising.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message