Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Little Tricks

The same idea goes with 20 liter canisters when you want to fill a bottle from them: Put the canister on a table and tilt it with the orifice kept on top of the canister. So you get a better angle to pour into the bottle without needing a funnel. Just go slow with tilting and no problems. Vic
Last Edited by vic at 18 Nov 12:11
vic
EDME

Peter wrote:

If you pour it with the nozzle uppermost, you get a much better angle on the bottle

Not only that if you pour it with the nozzle lowermost, the oil will “glug” as the air has to get past while it’s pouring, leading to a stream of oil that wildly moves and changes flow rate. If the nozzle is uppermost, the air has a way to get in without bubbling through the oil coming out.

Andreas IOM

Yes, i always use that picture too … fly out of the windsock

When I check the windsock I decide on the proper runway to use by imagining I want to fly OUT of the windsock – otherwise I’ll get caught!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

for that one you need two fuel gauges that show pretty much the sameā€¦. would not work with mine,

You mean an SR22 has useless fuel gauges? That’s somewhat surprising.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Years and years ago we had a problem that someone was nicking mail and forms out of our pigeon holes at the airport I then flew from. Annoying because that meant bills, Jepp updates (paper ones), fuel receipts and other stuff disappeared.

Until one of us got the idea and put a loaded heavy duty mouse trap into one of the compartments.

The guy was caught “red handed” so to speak :)

Have used this trick twice in the mean time to stop nosy coworkers reading my mail :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter, for that one you need two fuel gauges that show pretty much the same…. would not work with mine, therefore i do 30-60-60 ….

How to choose the tank to use at the beginning of th flight when both are full: use the tank the position of which corresponds to the minutes needle of your watch. When airborne you always know which tank you should be pumping from.
E.g. 14:45 left tank / 15:20 right tank
Works only if you change every 30min, though.

Last Edited by Alboule at 17 Nov 22:44
LFNR

what_next wrote:

How does it work: I leave my house key in the car, the car key in our hangar office, the hangar key in the aircraft and when I leave the aircraft, e.g. to go to the hotel, I only take the aircraft key with me

More or less like this

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If flying solo, let the LH tank run down a certain amount, starting with the takeoff. And maintain that difference. Switch tanks to keep the aileron deflections equal. It makes the plane fly more straight because it enables flight with balanced ailerons and the ball in the middle. More MPG!

Obviously it needs the plane to be properly rigged first.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message