Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ljubljana Skiing

C210_Flyer wrote:

If you do go please give a PIREP.

“click, click”.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

For one reason or another I did not make the trip. This year I cant go due to a knee injury that will require lots of Therapy. Besides the Mission Kommander said not to come home if I hurt the knee skiing before I get a clearance from the Orthopedist.

Being optimistic for 2018.

If you do go please give a PIREP.

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 22 Nov 23:09
KHTO, LHTL

@C210_Flyer

Did you end up doing this trip and if so, would you care to share some insights?

I’ve been looking into the area for a fly-ski trip for this season…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Reiff sorry about the spelling. I think its better than Tanis cause it uses Bands around the cyl base to heat the cyls.

You know just to make sure I will call them before I depart from BP as part of the preflight to see what they say about a Z departure out of LJBL

Thanks for all your help It makes a difference.

JUst checked the weather Almanac and the average high temp that time of year is 48-50F Min. 29-32F Dont need the Reiff in that case. We will have to see what the weather conditions are like leading up to the time we want to go. Cant book in advance Ill have a bunch of ugly passengers if they cant ski and have to spend the money to go.

KHTO, LHTL

Glad to help, but what is a Riett System? Excuse my ignorance.

I would imagine that filing a SID from LJLJ to get into the system, and then calling LJLJ ARO or tower to join the SID at 2000 ft AGL or, if needed, from a touch & go arriving from LJBL, should be sufficient.

I flew into LJBL and got homesick. It was really a dream reminded me of some of the nicer small airports. They were friendly and helpful. I didnt feel as if everything had a price tag on it. So I have definitely made up my mind to go back. However with winter conditions and being a VFR airport I dont want to get into a situation where I get snowed in or weathered in with ceilings <1000’

If there is a way to pick up an IFR clearance without staying VMC till 9000’ I sure would like to know about it. I wrote to LJLJ and asked about a plug in for my Riett System and they said they have no electrical outlets. Im hoping they have overlooked one which I could plug into. Do you have any ideas on that?

So very happy with the news you just gave me about the activity at the resort. If we arrive Sunday afternoon things should be winding down with the races and have a chance for a hotel room and normal crowds I hope. Then leave Tuesday.

KHTO, LHTL

Kranjska gora has the whole range of slopes, for very beginners right at the hotels, through intermediate all the way to the World Cup course. Speaking of it, I have just checked the calendar and the men’s World Cup race is March 4-5. This means a crowd of spectators, but the easier slopes may be empty, with everybody watching the race. When the race ends, things are back to normal. Also the school holidays finish before that, so you should be OK.
45 km is about 25 km highway and 20 km regular road, so maybe 40 minutes.
Early March should be still cold enough for good snow, but you never know for sure.
Bled LJBL has a concrete runway, and you can depart VFR direction LJLJ and connect to a SID in the air or directly on a Z-plan. It is a good idea to file it beforehand and maybe even call LJLJ ARO (+386 4 204 0420) before departure.

Hi Markom Checking out the hotels and you are right the only one that seems to be acceptable is Kravec. But they dont have availability for the time we would want to go the first weekend in March actually Sunday to Tuesday. The other options are hostels and we dont want to do that. So I took your advice and looked into Kranjska gora and did find Suite Hotel Klass. with good ratings and lots of positive reviews.

Now my other question is are you familiar with the skiing in Kranjska? We have mixed bag going, one beginner level and 2 intermediates and one a lower level advanced. Which is a better resort for that experience level?

45 KM equates to about 1/2hr?

You might know and of course wont hold you to it but what are the weather conditions usually that time of year for skiing? Is it still good or expect slushy spring skiing?

Too bad Bled is VFR only since its 1/2 way there. But I would not like to depart out of there and going IMC before picking up the IFR clearance since last time picking up an IFR clearance occurred at I think 9000’ heading direct to the Mtns. Good thing it was VMC.

KHTO, LHTL

Hotel Dvor Jezeršek is less than 2 km from the airport (village Zgornji Brnik), not to be confused with the Jezersek family other location a bit farther away in Sora. From Hotel Dvor Jezerršek it is about 7 km to the aerial gondola valley station, which has a big parking lot. Whenever it is crowded, there is a free shuttle bus connecting additional parking lots.
Krvavec is great for its proximity to the Ljubljana airport and to Ljubljana city (I drive there in about 20 minutes) but it does not have much of hotel facilities around. You might want to have a look at Kranjska gora, which is 45 km from the airport and it has hotels right on the slopes.

markom wrote:

Hotel Dvor Jezersek
Markom how far is it by car to the mountain? On the map it seems like a distance. Any issues parking when we get to the mountain?

KHTO, LHTL
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message