Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Loss of electrical power while flying a GPS approach at night

Ibra wrote:

I doubt there is a guarantee that unlicensed or military airfields even with PCL to have standard runway lights?
I think once lit the runway lights will add up to the “surprise factor”

Why would you think that? In any case, the runway lights are described in the approach plates and the AF/D. No surprises there.

I doubt there is a guarantee that unlicensed or military airfields even with PCL to have standard runway lights?
I think once lit the runway lights will add up to the “surprise factor”

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Mar 19:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

Not sure I follow that reasoning. In such a situation, I would want the PCL to work 24hr and really wouldn’t give a d*** if the airfield were open or not.

What I mean is that of there’s someone manning the radio, they can turn the lights on for you on request. If no one is there, then you’re not allowed to land and then there wouldn’t be any reason for the lights to be on. Expect for emergencies, of course, but I don’t really see airports installing PCL solely to cater for emergencies.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It ought to be identical.

Also, and this was popular on the old Icoms although I am not sure I have seen it with the Yaesu, is a PTT button velcroed to the yoke. I sold my Icom ~5 years ago but still have a PTT button; maybe I had two of them. It makes a handheld much easier to use than using the PTT button on it, which needs a free hand.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Has anyone ever tried activating PCL via a hand-held? It certainly should work, but the question is whether just pressing the xmt button on a handheld has the same effect on frequency as on a normal mic.

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

And PCL (pilot controlled lighting) is almost unheard of in Europe, due to dumb airport closure implementations

Quite a few (how many, how to search on them ??) airfields in France have PCL, and where it is available it operates outside of ATS hours (AIP 1.1-8/1.1-9/1.1-10).

LSZK, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

Also, in countries like Germany where in practise airfields have to be staffed to be used the question is moot.

Not sure I follow that reasoning. In such a situation, I would want the PCL to work 24hr and really wouldn’t give a d*** if the airfield were open or not.

LSZK, Switzerland

Maybe they just used a general purpose www search engine on his name?

In the UK, consultants (“higher-end doctors” – like this US pilot likely was) never publish any contact details – because you are not supposed to contact them without a referral by a GP. And I imagine this must be similar everywhere, otherwise they would never get any work done. What you find on google is the phone etc of the secretary It may be fast enough for this purpose, if she is at work (the phones tend to be turned off outside working hours).

the newer Lightspeed headsets have it standard and many of the older models can be modified to add bluetooth.

That, however, still gets you only voice, and that usually doesn’t work when airborne, due to disconnections.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

Many headsets are Bluetooth enabled. It is a choice on the Bose range.

Yes, the newer Lightspeed headsets have it standard and many of the older models can be modified to add bluetooth.

LSZK, Switzerland

lionel wrote:

Anyway, it would be sad if in an emergency, ATC couldn’t access field 19

I asked an acquaintance that works the APP desk at ELLX. He says he doesn’t have “direct access” to it, but can ask for it.

ELLX
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message