Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Standby / backup alternator for the TB20 (and other types)

No; too much work and I have too much else to do. I have started somebody in the USA on the field approval (which might take months or years) and will try to do it at engine overhaul time, a few years away.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just looked at the Aircraft Spruce website and they list an STCed dual alternator setup for the 540 powerered 182s by Kelly Aeospace. Could be worth a look at as a starting point if the bits will fit inside the TB cowel.

Sorry no link, using new fangled mobile device:-)

Do you have the Spruce P/N?

There are unfortunately many variants of the IO540 engine – not just on the engine itself (the 6 cylinders and what’s inside the crankcase) but also on the accessory gearbox (the back of the engine).

On mine, Lyco simply didn’t install anything useful in the spare accessory drive. They put a stupid and pointless blank shaft in there, to save maybe $10.

One way forward (not involving opening up the engine) might be to put the 2nd alternator where the present vac pump is, and try to recertify the aircraft with an electric horizon. That should be doable from the POV of a redundant horizon, but would be very hard from the POV of the KFC225 autopilot which is not certified for any pitch/roll source other than the KI256 vacuum horizon. Technically the solution is very simple (Castleberry make an exact electric copy of the KI256) but almost impossible in paperwork terms.

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Feb 07:33
Administrator

An Aspen would satisfy the KFC225 requirement of having a KI256.

Yes – as would a G500/600. These and the Aspen can emulate the KI256 (via the EA100/GAD43 etc).

But in a single alternator aircraft you still need a vacuum horizon, in the pilot’s primary field of view. There is a route for an electric horizon with a backup battery but it is a bigger battery than any single product I know of (that emulates a KI256, actually and legally) currently offers internally.

If there was a battery powered KI256 replacement which “just did it all” I am sure it would be an amazing seller. In my plane, and many others, the vac pump drives nothing else, so it is a lot of hardware which does very little. I can’t see why an LCD based product cannot be done which lasts for say 10 hours.

Maybe any AHRS stable enough for the job needs temperature control and that draws a lot of power. The Aspen runs very hot, and the Sandel SG102 AHRS also runs hot.

Administrator

Aircarft Spruce part no: 07-01490

I am putting the drive adaptor on Ebay this weekend… if anybody is interested, I would accept €300. It has been paint stripped, NDTd, repainted with Lyco paint, has a new oil seal, and there is no apparent wear on it. No paperwork… A new gasket is included. The oil feed hole to the hydraulic pump has been plugged with a grub screw, which is the correct thing to do if driving an accessory that doesn’t need oil (an alternator or a vacuum pump).

The Lycoming P/N is 71675 or 71676. I was never able to settle this, despite dozens of emails with their illiterate personnel… It generally fits the -C engines but not the -C4D5D.

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Apr 09:44
Administrator

I have just read on the US Socata group that somebody in the USA has managed to install a B&C alternator on a TB20 IO540-C4D5D. He also installed two separate magnetos. He posted a photo of the B&C alternator.

He has not given much info (his maint shop did it all) but it sounds like a DER 8110 route was used, so the probable cost would have been of the order of $10k for the paperwork. I was banned from there in 2008 and the server owner blocked PMs for me so I can’t contact the owner.

The 337 and supporting docs will be in the public domain in the usual way, under tail number N5543T.

I was going to go the 337 + Field Approval route but found that Lyco, to save a few $, put a blank (useless) drive shaft in the 2nd vac pump drive point! If that drive shaft was changed for the obviously intended one (which needs the engine to be removed) the route would be obvious.

This guy removed the vac pump to get the alternator drive point, so he must have done something to get rid of the KI256. That means an EFD1000+EA100 or a G500+GAD43 / G600, or the new Honeywell KI256 AHRS-based replacement. Or (his TB20 is an old one) he never had an AI with pitch/roll pickoff coils; e.g. an STEC AP can work off a TC (so possibly never had any vac system at all). But even then the IO540-C4D5D does not have two magneto drives. It has only one, currently used by the D3000 single shaft dual mag. So he must have opened up the engine and modified the accessory gearbox.

Administrator

It turns out that this guy changed the accessory gearbox and the crankcases!

So his engine isn’t an IO540-C4D5D anymore.

No wonder it was a DER job.

Obviously it can be done (practically) only during an engine overhaul.

This job appears to have been a tour de force in regulatory and engineering navigation

Administrator

Do you have access to the Form 337 that should have been filed ?

btw: I use this company when I need the file within 24H : http://planefax.com/ it’s $20 rather than $10 and a 4 week wait.

Last Edited by Michael at 16 Dec 08:16
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message