Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Single engine rolling tendency

Behavior is very similar in cruise. I used descent to test because that’s where airspeed is highest and the problem is most pronounced. I typically descend at 90-100% torque, so it’s not a power off descent. Agree that could influence trim settings. I think I’ll bring the plane in to Tarbes this time. It’s a 1000hr check and there’s a couple of other things that need to be fixed. Pilot door alignment still not done right and also some cabin pressure max diff alarms due to faulty sensor.

Edit:

Was just looking at Ground speed records and look what I found. Could be that my plane is fine.

Last Edited by loco at 08 Oct 05:34
LPFR, Poland

Descent rudder trim would be expected to be quite different to level cruise rudder trim – at least in my TB20 it is.

Of course it is much less critical in descent because the plane will always fly quite fast enough

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

Got a chance to fly today. Confirm the roll is to right. Below is the trim needed to keep ball in the middle and wings level at about 220 IAS in descent.

That is a lot of trim in that case. Just get a rigging check.

EGTK Oxford

Got a chance to fly today. Confirm the roll is to right. Below is the trim needed to keep ball in the middle and wings level at about 220 IAS in descent.

LPFR, Poland

RobertL18C wrote:

I struggle to believe a high quality piece of engineering like a TBM has rigging issues

It may well have been right as it came out of the factory but subsequent “adjustments” could be at fault.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I struggle to believe a high quality piece of engineering like a TBM has rigging issues. Given the torque of the PT6 upfront, presumably aileron trim via a coolie hat may be required? What does the AFM procedures and systems section say?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Had the same issue with my aircraft, the right wing had a tendency to drop and the aircraft wanted to roll. All control surfaces were checked and found to be out of trim, once they were adjusted the aircraft was very near to perfect.

The last aircraft I took (a C152) flew “strangely” in cruise. I realized the ball was not centered.
When I put rudder input, the plane started to turn ! So I had to bank the plane to fly maintain a heading !

Well, I did the whole trip uncoordonated

LFOU, France

yes that is a constant issue. The Beech has a grey strip on part of the upper side of the flap, continuing the one on the wing. Naturally most people think it’s ok to step on it although it is not….

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 25 Sep 10:34
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I would look closely at the flaps.

Even a 1-2mm difference between them will create all sorts of weird “plane flying crooked” problems.

BTW it is normal on TBs for the flaps to hang a few mm below the upper stop (which is normally a piece of the wing) and the airflow in flight pushes them right up against the stop. But if somebody stepped onto the flap and bent the linkage, it may not make it. OTOH on a TBM there is no reason for people to do that…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message