Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Download Manager

As Peter mentioned, a virtual machine running windows might be a good solution. I do run parallels and an old Windows version and I do have installed the JDM for Windows there. It is working fine and it is my second backup if something with the Mac version of the JDM is not working.
The first backup is the mentioned costly Wombat with the JDM on the iPad.

EDDS , Germany

I was saying that one can format a disk as FAT32 on OSX by typing “diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 NAME /dev/disk3” in the terminal window and things should work OK with JDM. Replace disk3 with the right number for your SD card. You can find the number by typing “diskutil list”.

LPFR, Poland

I bought an old Thinkpad laptop from Ebay for £20 for running the Canbus software (VAG-COM) for reprogramming my VW so this should be a good option for aircraft too The main gotcha with these ex Ebay buys is that you get dead batteries…

A VMWARE VM is very easy to set up (use the free version) but it helps a lot to have someone who knows it. Setting up things like peripherals can be a right pain, especially if you still want them to work from the main OS while the VM is running. I spent several hours yesterday sorting out a winXP VM on a win10 laptop, but everything works now. And it is not an absolute guarantee that Device X will work under say a winXP VM when it does work under winXP native.

This kind of issue is going to become more and more prominent as people on win7, scared by “security issues” as M$ drop support for it in 2020, feel they are forced to move to win10, under which a lot of stuff stops working. There are countless thousands of things like KLN94 flash cartridge programmers still in use.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Joe-fbs wrote:

Computer says no.

What does clicking the Apple and then About This Mac say your machine is though?

If it is indeed too old, then your options have already been pretty well summed up by others. Either install some virtualisation software on your Mac and run Windows, or pick up a cheap Windows laptop off eBay or something. You should be able to get something usable for a few tens of £££

Last Edited by stevelup at 04 Nov 07:51

If you do go down the VM route, don’t install XP because you’ll be back where you started:-

Compatibility statement
JDM3.8 is compatible with Windows 10. The minimum operating system requirement for JDM 3.8 is Windows 7.

OK, thank you everyone, cheap Windows 10 machine it is then. Working on the assumption, based on the comments above by the informed posters, that Jeppesen will soon drop Windows 7 compatibility.

My apologies but my thought process reading the stuff about VMs and FATs is something like Penny to Sheldon “Sweetie, I know you think you’re explaining but you really aren’t”. :-) Thank you all for trying though.

PS I now know that my Macbook is in fact “Mid-2009” so no longer an option.

strip near EGGW

Joe-fbs wrote:

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Hi there, everything like this is done online these days. An example, would you scan a strange file for a virus locally, or using virustotal.com where you get 20 engines to scan it simultaneously. Same for downloads. Unless Jepp blocks you from doing so, just feed the file link into the online zipper, it downloads it for you, turns it into a ZIP archive, and delivers it to any PC with any OS you wish. No need to buy a PC, no need to upgrade to a different OS version.

AJ
Germany

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone, even the ones written in IT that I did not understand :-)

What I finally did, yesterday, was buy a used Windows 10 lapptop with Office for about the same as a Wombat would have cost me. JDM now loaded so all being well next time the weather is fit to fly we will have an updated database again. Flying from a small tricky strip inside Class D has its advantages but it does also bring weather restrictions, not helped by both local IFR irfields clsoing at weekends, see threads passim ad nauseum about UK controller policy failures.

Thanks again
Joe

strip near EGGW

JDM is not working for me today – anyone else see this issue? It could be that they are doing server maintenance and it will work again tomorrow, but thought I’d check to see if others have the same issue. Thanks, Mickey

Last Edited by eurogaguest1980 at 30 Jan 20:10
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

JDM is not working for me today – anyone else see this issue? It could be that they are doing server maintenance and it will work again tomorrow, but thought I’d check to see if others have the same issue. Thanks, Mickey

I can log in now in any case.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message