Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics that become completely useless, and database-induced obsolescence

Vref wrote:

VAL avionics has a nice solution.

But their units are all 25 kHz?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What is the database situation with the Avidyne EXxxx MFD products?

Or, is there any Avidyne product for which the database is no longer being updated?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A friend of mine has an EX500 in his Mooney (also an IFD540, but that’s not the question). He is very happy with it and has no issues with database updates or whatnot.

Avidyne is organizing a lot of webinars these days. If you want to participate I can get you an invitation.

EBST, Belgium

If I am not mistaken, Avidyne uses the same navdata format for all devices.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Can someone explain me the usefulness of a radio altimeter if you are not Cat2 certified (who is this anyway in GA)?

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

I would be very interested; thank you.

The EX500 is quite old so if the data is still ok that’s good.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Niner_Mike wrote:

Can someone explain me the usefulness of a radio altimeter if you are not Cat2 certified (who is this anyway in GA)?

250ft DH instead of 200ft for ILS approaches (50ft for barometer altimeter error).

And why a light MEP cannot be flown down to CAT II if it has got both pilots and a certified RA?

EGTR

Don’t you need an operator in order to get permission for multi-pilot system in a light MEP?

ESME, ESMS

arj1 wrote:

250ft DH instead of 200ft for ILS approaches (50ft for barometer altimeter error).

Do you mean the other way around? That you would have a 250 DH for ILS without radio altimeter and could use 200 ft if you had a radio altimeter?

First, there is no need to increase the ILS CAT I DH to cater for altimeter error — that is already considered when the OCH is determined. (There is an 88 feet altimeter error margin — at least for approach category A aircraft.)

Also, you can’t simply use radio altimetry instead of barometric altimetry in a CAT I ILS as the terrain profile will affect the radio altitude. ILS CAT II approach plates have DH specifically given as radio altitude.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

arj1 wrote: 250ft DH instead of 200ft for ILS approaches (50ft for barometer altimeter error).

Do you mean the other way around? That you would have a 250 DH for ILS without radio altimeter and could use 200 ft if you had a radio altimeter?

Yes, sorry, meant another way around.

First, there is no need to increase the ILS CAT I DH to cater for altimeter error — that is already considered when the OCH is determined. (There is an 88 feet altimeter error margin — at least for approach category A aircraft.)

That’s what I’ve been taught here as part of IR(R)
Where did you get 88 feet from?

Also, you can’t simply use radio altimetry instead of barometric altimetry in a CAT I ILS as the terrain profile will affect the radio altitude. ILS CAT II approach plates have DH specifically given as radio altitude.

Thanks!

EGTR
Sign in to add your message