Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics that become completely useless, and database-induced obsolescence

Just took a decision to install replacement of my KX165 with a KX165A 8.33 (with a step up converter) as second 8.33 radio on top of my GNC255A. I was very disappointed that TRIG abandoned the NAV/COM release. The gnc255a is not bad but I really don’t like that it doesn’t show both NAV COM frequencies at the same time. Still have my KLN90B it will be replaced with a GPS175 but I don’t feel a compelling need yet. Smooth finger operations on the radio buttons in terminal airspace is more important then having LPV capability. At some point the KLN90B will be obsolete …yes I know..

EBST

Vref wrote:

Just took a decision to install replacement of my KX165 with a KX165A 8.33 (with a step up converter) as second 8.33 radio on top of my GNC255A.

Would it be cheaper to install an old used GNS-430, non-WAAS? That way you get a NAV/COM/GPS…
How big is the price difference?

EGTR

The really interesting angle on this is how much the databases are worth.

Let’s say there are still 10k KLN94s. The database is $440/year, IIRC. That’s $4.4M – not bad!!! And that is just one old product.

OK; it may not be 10k of them anymore, but even $1M is still great money. There are firms with $1M turnover who employ dozens of people. I bet this database needs 1 or 2 people only.

Even if there are a few hundred KLN90Bs only, it is still worth supporting them.

The original GNS boxes are also interesting. 20+ years now? I can’t see Garmin dropping the databases for them for at least another 10 years. I believe they sold over 100k of the original non-W boxes. At that rate, this is making more money than the spare parts department of most of the GA aircraft brands

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Would it be cheaper to install an old used GNS-430, non-WAAS? That way you get a NAV/COM/GPS…
How big is the price difference?

Its not only the equipment price the work related to changing the panel, rewiring the stuff etc,,
Don’t like the Garmin 430 interface for approaches, if I go waas I prefer something modern, I played with the interface of the GTN it’s better, not perfect but will do… Also I don’t have to re-adjust my panel again. The 175 offers almost the same functionality as a GTN650 for way less money. It also has VFR glideslope support and maybe I will implement ADS-B with a GNX box later, donno. To change a KX165 14V to 165A 28 requires a DCDC step up converter pins need to change and the lighting also…that’s it.. Its currently interfaced with sandel unit like Peter has. Topic was already discussed a lot here on euroga. Waas 430 units still sell for 6500 euro… I also know my KLN90B blindley and still happy for now, I have a spare unit ….time, money effort ..and last but not least operational efficiency!

EBST

I bet this database needs 1 or 2 people only.

That might be true it’s only a subset of an ARINC424 database used on other equipment

Last Edited by Vref at 13 May 13:34
EBST

@Pilot_DAR, did you try contacting Honeywell/BendixKing directly? I understood that BendixKing took repair back in-house a couple years ago and avionics shops are no longer allowed to do repairs of anything…. or maybe I’m losing little grey cells. Perhaps a long shot, but worth asking them the question.

LSZK, Switzerland

There was this although they went back on some of it later…

HBK also have strict requirements on how much a dealer has to sell before they support him. These are nowadays quite unreasonable given their product line is mostly a mixture of rebadged stuff and nonexistent vapourware.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

That sounds awfully like a backup battery is gone.

I changed the memory battery. It’s a fussy job, as it’s soldered by three contacts in the middle of the surface mount circuit board, but I’ve done it. The search the sky time is variable, from half an hour to several hours in my experience. Once the GPS finds itself, then it will download data from the satellites, which can take another couple of hours. I got in found, and data downloaded, switched it off and on again, and it started the search the sky again, with the new battery. The message was a GPS clock failure, not a “replace the battery”. The battery itself is an odd one, about the size of four 50p coins stacked up, and it’s made in Israel, so not common, it has to be ordered.

Thanks for the link to the manual Ultramond, I don’t know if I’ll use it, but it’s nice to have as a back up. The pressure is off for now, as I found a second unit, which I know for a fact had sat on the shelf for more than a decade. I changed it’s battery, and after a 13 hour search the sky and download, it seems to work fine. If I get adventurous, I’ll try Bendix/King directly. That said, the avionics shop is a good client of mine, so if King is taking work away from them, I’m still not happy!

The more I use really new and advanced avionics (let alone paying for them, and database updates), the happier I am to own very basic avionics! I remember when I got my first LORAN, and thought I’d make the leap to the next level of navigation! I used it happily for years, suspicious that GPS could not be as good! I learned once I started flying GPS equipped planes…!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

An EU member country can’t add requirements to EASA regulations and EASA regulations (specifically part-NCO) make clear that for light GA, one COM unit is enough.

I would take that with a grain of salt. Each member state may issue recommendations for and against anything. While not legally binding in any sort of way you will have a hard time collecting insurance etc IF something happens. Civil law has a life on it’s own.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The kx line is here to stay for many years. It took me quite a while to find a good 8.33 unit. I still don’t get it that no other manufacturer achieved certification for a plug and play replacement. VAL avionics has a nice solution. I guess the cost of certification must be prohibitive!

EBST
Sign in to add your message