Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SDMP (self declared maintenance programme) and why some can and some cannot operate it

That was LAMP most probably…

EBST, Belgium

Christopher wrote:

I must be missing something here. In March 2017 I put my 172 on a SDMP (G-reg) and it was maintained by an EASA-66 engineer. That was under Part M. Was that wrong?

The SDMP was introduced as an alternative for ELA1 aircraft (aeroplanes < 1200 kg) in Part-M a couple of years ago. Part-ML extends that to aeroplane < 2730 kg, and also makes some other changes.

Like Christopher, I was also confused as I am already on a SDMP but to be honest my eyes glaze over with all of this stuff ……….So part M “Light” means it covers “Heavier” planes so that’s clear then! (OK, I admit, I think I know what the word light refers to)

A bit like the Ministry of Health deals with sickness and other Orwellian Government Depts.

United Kingdom

Your UK CAA SDMP ends as soon as part M light comes into force. At least, that’s how I understand it. So before the end of this year you ought to “do something”. I’m in the same situation.

EBST, Belgium

Any idea how close we are to SDMP for ELA 2 at this point? It would be nice to avoid calendar overhauling my 400 hr prop if I could avoid it

EIMH, Ireland

It should enter into force in September. I hope that is sufficient for you!

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

It should enter into force in September. I hope that is sufficient for you!

Thanks. CAMO is due to renew the ARC this week and I think prop may be an issue (can’t quite understand all the conflicting docs I have). Almost worth grounding myself for the summer to save the few k!

Last Edited by zuutroy at 26 May 21:39
EIMH, Ireland

Finally! Part-M Light has been made public and is now translated into all EU languages: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1567717759548&uri=CELEX:32019R1383 (edit for better link to EUR-Lex)

It’s called: Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/1383 of 8 July 2019 amending and correcting Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 as regards safety management systems in continuing airworthiness management organisations and alleviations for general aviation aircraft concerning maintenance and continuing airworthiness management

…and to answer the thread: “It shall apply from 20 February 2020.”

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 05 Sep 21:15

Is this the one which allows a freelance EASA66 to do everything on a plane under 2000kg?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, independent certifying staff (Part-66) may issue ARCs and all that, according to e.g ML.A.901. But it goes further than ELA1/2 (which is probably the 2000kg you refer to) and includes airplanes up to 2730kg.

Sign in to add your message