Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Challenger reusable oil filter

Just a data point – I have one of these in my RV8 w/ IO-360 and I like it. Some pics here:

http://www.rv8.ch/kp-engineering-stainless-steel-cleanable-oil-filter/

First oil change pics here:

http://www.rv8.ch/first-oil-change-with-kp-cleanable-filter/

I’m using the K&P version which I can do since I’m experimental. Challenger contracts with K&P to make their filters with the addition of safety wiring holes and some nice engraving (and of course taking the legal risk in case something goes wrong in a certified aircraft).

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

On oil filters generally, my engineer says the filter (O-320-D3G) is good for 500 Hours anyway.
From another forum ….

1) A good screen is about as good as a full flow filter on aircraft engines.
2) The filters on aircraft often go into bypass between 30 and 40 hours because of pulverized carbon (ring deposits)
3) The head of Lycoming engineering said one of the worst things they ever did WRT warranty claims was to extend the oil change interval from 25 to 50 hours. You can not filter water and the acid number (TAN) goes up over 1 point for each 25 hours. 1 point is corrosive in aviation oil.
4) Bypass filters work well in aircraft (filter above 5micron).

There seems to be some caution in place about using cleanable filters ….quote E Colin on a Beech forum (Camguard)
None of the commercial filters are good below 60microns and wear from contamination is caused from particles in the 10micron range

EBST

Ed Kollin was here as @ed2

Not heard this before. Cirrus routinely go to 100hrs on oil changes. Probably depends a lot on how often flown and how long for, when it comes to water in oil. The Lyco man may be right but for the wrong reasons.

Got a reply from Challenger:

We do not ship internationally at this time, but I pour distributors do.
Challenger Aviation Products, Inc.
For further inquiries call 937-387-6500

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

my engineer says the filter (O-320-D3G) is good for 500 Hours anyway

With all due respect, I would change my oil filter… and engineer.

Non-certified version manufactured by K&P
Now I’m in the same situation as @eurogaguest1980. This means my O-360 has been running on the non-certified version of the reusable filter manufactured by K&P, called the S15, for the last 200h or so. And it was bought from Speedline Moto in the UK
The pros are evident, such as reusable, lighter, cheaper in the short run, nicer looking, maybe some better cooling, smaller. The cons are no holes for safety wiring (on the S15, drilled the holes myself) if required, and the use of a special bell wrench to install/remove (supplied with the filter).

Now one thing which I warn all users about, is the size of the filter element. No measurements taken, but guessing that the total surface of the element is 1/2 the size of a standard oil filter. Yes, the S15 is equipped with a bypass valve. My engine shows almost nil metal deposits, but quite some carbon. I would recommend a 50h inspection/cleaning interval for said filter.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

It occurred to me that unless you inspect the filter at the service, you need to take it home, so you need a spare element.

It should be easy enough to inspect but you will need some vessel to fill with avgas and the dunk the element in there a few times, and see what bits of your camshaft are seen on the bottom of the vessel

I don’t believe the 500hrs either, especially as it is only paper.

LAS should have stock now; I have a few filters coming from them next week, hopefully.

Something wrong with their website; if you click on item 1 here the description is a different P/N. I have emailed them.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t believe the 500hrs either, especially as it is only paper.

In fairness this was said because of the unavailability of a new filter at an oil change recently, changing the oil but keeping the old filter this time only (I hope).

Last Edited by Aveling at 27 Aug 07:58
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

does anyone have any feedback on this?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/challengerLifetime.php

seems to be a great solution to paper filters.

Switzerland

@By9468840 post moved to existing thread

Administrator

I am really tempted to try this, because I would love to eliminate a consumable item.

EHRD, Netherlands

I’ve just ordered one.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message