Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gear lever TB20

10 Posts

I would appreciate if anyone has an idea how to get this button off.

Berlin, Germany
It is a great pity nobody know it. Is this Button glued, then it must be destroyed. Where can I get a new one?
Berlin, Germany

@Peter might know the answers! :)

EGTR

Does it matter? If it doesn’t break its just a cosmetic problem. If it does break and falls off then your problem is solved – unless you can’t get the gear down. By the look of things there’s enough of a stub that you could still use the lever anyway?

I would turn a new one on a lathe, which I think is how your part was created – but on a certified aircraft this may not be allowed.

Last Edited by kwlf at 13 Nov 11:43

I’m pretty sure Troyes Aviation https://troyesaviation.com/en/ has this part.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

On my TB20GT there is a pin in there. This is the upper hole

and this is the lower hole

The OP’s pic doesn’t show these holes so the “wheel” is just glued on. The switch itself is prob99 from APEM in France (good switches actually, but expensive – €50-100) and the wheel is just machined up on a lathe, in the case of Socata by a 99 year old guy working in one of these

somewhere around here

If the switch is OK I would machine up a new wheel on a lathe, but gluing it to the switch toggle might be tricky unless the switch is extracted (to prevent the glue running out). The switch has a locking toggle in this style

Also I would machine it up in brass and paint it white, not the present nylon, because you can’t easily glue nylon to metal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It looks like it could be a standard 3-position toggle switch with a multi-part (two-piece?) plastic disk/button glued on the end, held on mechanically due the taper of the toggle. In that case I think you’d have to break the button to get it off.

PS cross posted with Peter.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Nov 16:18

The problem I’m here now is my landing gear won’t go up sometimes. The relay won’t switch, that is sure.
I had changed the relays, the connections of the MS and the MS checked. Everything works properly.
Now I wanted to prophylactically exchange the gear lever.
Obviously I have to destroy the gear knob to exchange the locking lever switch.

Berlin, Germany

It could be a broken switch.

The easiest path is to throw money at Socata, but if you have time (say during some multi-month Annual) you could fabricate your own solution.

I don’t know what switch style is used and can’t really look until my Annual in Jan 2023. I do have a bag of ex Ebay APEM safety-latched switches though.

Come to think of it I have to replace the crappy $1 intermittent switch on my TKS control unit, which would cost me $1000+ to fix the “proper way” and then I will still get the crappy $1 switch back in there, from CAV’s 30 year old stock of TKS parts… So I will replace it with a $100 milspec switch.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes Peter, that’s always my way of finding out what it can be. It’s interesting and part aviation.
Thanks again, I’ve gotten a lot of useful things over the past few years.
In this forum you are not alone with your problems.

Berlin, Germany
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message