Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oil analysis - large variations

I have just switched to AS 15W-50 plus Camguard at 68hrs following overhaul during which I was running AS100 (until 20hrs) and then AS80 during the winter

The guy behind Camguard does not like 15W-50 and recommends AS100/AS80 together with Camguard. My thinking is that with these additives, one either believes in it or not. If I choose to believe in it, I also have to believe in his argument on which base oil is best

Another set of three has arrived. Intertek (UK) and Blackstone are again mostly close, with Avlab well away from the others:

Intertek:

Blackstone:

Avlab:

I am spending significant money to give you people this data

I don’t think anybody else has done this before, especially more than once, and doing it just once is meaningless.

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Jun 13:38
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How do they explain these differences? Very good job, thanks for sharing!

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Do you run exclusively on 100LL or sometimes with UL91?

The lead figure seems pretty high

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

How do they explain these differences?

They say equipment can be calibrated differently, etc. But clearly Intertek and Blackstone are close on the main ones.

Do you run exclusively on 100LL or sometimes with UL91?

Only 100LL. The lead figure is very consistent.

91UL is not for sale in the UK, with very few exceptions.

Administrator

Another data point:

Intertek UK:

Blackstone USA:

The two seem to track on the main items, and this is about the 3rd sample showing good tracking. Avlab.com was way off these two and I no longer use it.

Administrator

Iron and chromium have been much lower after I started using Camguard.

Peter, I don’t see this for Iron in your oil reports. If I plot Iron / hours flown, then Iron trends pretty much flat between 2012 and now judging by your blackstone oil reports.

United States

I’ve used Blackstone only very recently.

The Camguard data goes back to when I used Avlab, which goes back to about 2005. I will dig it out when I can, but I am fairly sure I have already posted it somewhere here.

Administrator

IMHO: oil analysis is just one tick above “completly useless”.

I trust you are scrubbing your oil filters and checking the screen.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

oil analysis is just one tick above “completly useless”.

I strongly recommend watching the video here

Oil analysis is just one part of a larger picture.

Ultimately, there are pilots out there who will continue to fly their plane even when they find bits of metal big enough to read serial numbers off… they probably correlate with those who don’t have an engine fund. But that doesn’t invalidate the principle.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message